Just Who Are You?

Lorien

My whole family, from my grandmother to my father, has always testified to the mirror of Trutin's honesty. I used to find it challenging but now, I find myself taking comfort by it. At the very least that means that I'll have an explanation for Daltair later. Heaven knows the death glare he was giving me before taking Elodie's hand was enough to send an ordinary man into a coma of fear.

I try my best not to stare at her face again, even though she's a thousand times more beautiful in person.

She's clearly tense with her shoulders back and head down. I try to think of a way to explain why I asked her to join me but the whole "equal" thing just doesn't feel like a good way to start.

I have so many questions for Elodie but I don't want to give anything away. I could easily ask her how she ended up as a maid or what her hobbies are but that's not all I want to know. For starters, I'd like to figure out what spell the Acruxian women were casting on her this morning when I walked in on them. I know it wasn't light magic and I know it wasn't anything that originated in this kingdom either. If anything, it was reminiscent of the magic used in the Mensa islands just southwest of our continent, Apero. But the Mensa tribes are known for chaos witchcraft. None of it makes sense.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I start, unable to subdue my curiosity.

Elodie glances up at me for a moment and nods.

"Mhm." She hums.

"What was that ritual I walked in on earlier?" I ask. "I've never seen anything like it before."

Her eyebrows raise and her posture softens a bit.

"Oh, well." She says, "I have this condition..."

I nod and lean in, giving her my full undivided attention.

"Actually, its more of an illness than a condition. I caught it from my aunt before she passed."

"Oh." I comment. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"Don't be. I was too young to miss her when it happened. Anyway, Lady Acrux caught onto my sickness before It got me too and, well, since her family is experienced in all kinds of grimoire type magic... she knew a spell that could save me."

"All of that was a healing spell?"

She nods genuinely, but it still doesn't sit right with me. I've seen all kinds of healing spells from all across the lands that made up our world, and never have I seen any that cause a strain on its receiver. I glance at the scar on Elodie's arm. It clearly was caused by magic, judging by it's almost purple-ish lines following in the direction of her veins.

She catches my stare, seemingly on edge by it. I try to think of more things to ask her to make the trip home more bearable.

"So..." I begin again. "I'm guessing you became a maid in return for your treatment?"

"Mhm."

"What was that like?"

"Well, its all I've ever known. I was raised by various maids until I was old enough to become one myself. Before that, the Acrux family provided me with food and a place to stay."

"How generous.."

"Yes, well, they seem to think so too."

I furrow my brow as she shoots her hands up to her face.

"I didn't mean that." She asserts, but my interest is already piqued.

"It's okay if you did." I lean back in my seat. "What's said in here, stays in here."

She folds her arms.

"You're serious?"

"As death."

"Hmm..." She contemplates her response, understandably wagering whether she can trust me or not.

"In that case," She leans back, finally relaxing. "Might I ask a question of my own?"

I hold out my hands parallel to my face.

"Go ahead."

"What made you choose to ride in here with me?"

Ah, of course she'd ask that.

"Like I said," I grinned. "I just wanted to make sure you were feeling better."

She squints.

"Right."

I can't help but feel hopeful about her, but I don't want to scare her off. I'll tell her about Trutin, I swear to myself. I just need the timing to be right first.

***

My time spent with Elodie is short lived. As soon as we make it to our first stop of the night, Daltair wastes no time in separating the two of us. I get an earful from him about how I'm disrespecting him and bringing shame to our family name. Every time I consider telling him the reason for my fascination, he gives me a reason not to. Its apparent that I can't tell him anything until all the facts are laid out in front of me. Otherwise, he'll make an excuse as to why Elodie is below us. I know she's considered a servant but after those hours on the road, I got to see her personality take hold a bit. She's coy but well mannered; humble but assertive. I've met princes with the mannerisms of a hog and queens with the discretion of a camel. So why is someone so astutely intelligent considered beneath me?

Regardless, the bottom line is that I'm forced to spend the rest of our trip home separated from her. Instead of answers for my questions, I find myself growing insane with the conversations held in the "nobles" carriage. Topics range from wedding cakes to the guest list and I could not conceivably find myself more bored. Daltair, on the other hand, is jubilant with anticipation for his future with Madelyn, who I'm now questioning the sanctity of.

By the gods' graces, I'm able to make it through the week long trip with my mind still in tact. Before I know it, we arrive at the castle again. I eye Elodie as she steps out from the servant's carriage. I want so badly to approach her and tell her everything but there's something I have to do first.

Without further word, I make the hike towards my bedroom, where, by now, the housekeep have unpacked my luggage. That's where I'll find my journals and books. That's where I'll find the information I need.