chapter 1

Aloe

I didn't have a schedule this afternoon, so I decided why not go and have a walk all the way to the library.

I'm honestly still not used to being recognized in public and having to constantly be conscious of how I look, or more like how I should keep my mask and glasses on.

On the way to the blind curve nearing the library, I felt a really strange sensation behind me. It's just this sinking feeling that someone's watching me. No footsteps or anything, just a gut feeling, really.

I looked around me causiously, feeling more and more nervous standing in this empty corner and went to grab my phone really quickly, and immediately contacted my manager while walking much faster all the way to the library.

I quickly opened the door, looked for any young adult novels around the shelf near the lady by the desk, and went to go read said book on a table near the same lady.

I am quite a paranoid person as it is, but this feeling is much different.

I just sat there and read the book while I have my phone on the table. I'll just kill off time and try to keep my mind at ease by reading while I wait for Manager Kim to pick me up.

Having a manager really is a life saver, though I would honestly prefer having my mom around in moments like this, but all I could really do is text or call her as she's staying in the Philippines like the rest of my other relatives.

I'm lost in the book world when I am suddenly startled by my phone's buzzing. I quickly picked it up, unlocked it, and went to see what that notification is.

A text message from an unknown number, with a photo attached to it. I honestly didn't wanna open it, with the amount of weird stuff I kept receiving from random people on the internet on a daily basis, but what's much more worrying about this is the fact that this person has my number.

As I pressed it, my heart sank as soon as I saw the photo attached to the message.

A photo of me walking out of the hotel I'm staying at. Oh. My. Heavens.

Lia

"Fortunately, that hotel wasn't Aloe's permanent address that's spread for the whole internet to see." I told Bethia, as she held her phone, still trying to get in contact with Aloe , whom we haven't been able to reach in a week now.

"Yeah, but what worries me is that whoever spread it might find out Aloe's permant address in LA in no time!" Bethia exclaims, biting her fingernails out of anxiousness with this whole situation.

"Okay, relax, Betty. I'm sure Aloe's management will get to the bottom of this soon like they always do." I said, assuring Bethia while caressing her shoulder. "Well, at least I hope so." I mumbled, making Betty look in disbelief while I sighed.

Honestly, I assume Aloe must've been hiding at her place for the past week now, having to cancel a lot of her guestings and interviews. She's always been the easily anxious type, even back in high school, but of course, with a situation like this, I couldn't really blame her.

Being away from her family wasn't as easy as it is, but having to experience such a horrifying thing is even harder. Though to be honest, you would think she would've been the one who's used to things like this among the three of us, not that that creep's actions can be normalized, but just by the sheer fact that she's been a celebrity for a longer time than Bethia and I, both as a singer and dancer, content creator, and an actress— a true performer at that. But also having anxiety for a long time but still wanting the job even with its dire consequences is honestly remarkable.

Honestly, I just hope she won't be too hard on herself for this, given how often she's been hard on herself for things she couldn't control.

"Finally! Aloe? How are you? Are you alright?" Bethia says, alerting me to go to her as she finally got in touch with Aloe.

"I'm fine. Scared, of course, but I'm fine. Manager Kim had been staying with me since I first stayed at home." Aloe, sounding obviously tired, replied while Bethia sighed.

"Don't scare us like that! You haven't answered your phone for a whole week after the incident, you really think we wouldn't worry?" Bethia continued while I pursed my lips. I could tell Aloe's distress through the phone, her voice didn't sound right, but of course, typical Aloe, she would still try her best not to make us worry more than we already are.

"I'll be fine. I'm sorry I haven't answered your calls. I was worried it might be the unknown person, or maybe it's my parents wanting me to give up my life here and go home, you know how my mom is sometimes.. She would definitely be like, 'I told you so', and I don't want none of that." Aloe says in a joking tone, but I know for a fact that she was breaking inside, saying that.

"Just... please look out for yourself, okay? And don't forget to eat something!" I said, making her chuckle.

"And please, stay away from any liquor." Bethia says, and there's a long pause before Aloe answers, "Okay."

Then, just like that, the call ended.