Chapter Eight: [Goosedown]

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Goosedown, and you as well, Lennox," he murmurs, silver eyes glimmering with hesitance.

"Of course," Goosedown replies, softening as Lennox smiles softly at his brother.

"Let's get back to camp."

-=-

The border patrol returns to camp, Goosedown pushing forward; Tortoisepaw presses close to the speckled black tom's side, and Donalbain and Lennox linger behind, talking quietly amongst themselves.

Fleance, now Twigpaw, comes bounding up, grinning brightly.

"You're back!" he mews to his brothers, twitching a floppy tufted ear.

"Hello," Donalbain purrs, still seeming a little distant.

"Hey, Twigpaw!" Tortoisepaw mews, parting from Goosedown's side to stand next to her new denmate.

"What're you going to do now?" Twigpaw purrs, smiling at Tortoisepaw.

"We're headed to wherever Stormstar is," the tortoiseshell tom replies.

"Donalbain has a matter to discuss with her."

The named golden brown tom chuckles nervously, expression contorting into a faint grimace.

Goosedown tips his head at Donalbain, stepping back to nudge him jokingly in the direction of Highledge and Stormstar's den.

"We should  meet with her before she's done with socializing for the day," the speckled black tom mews, trying to hurry his friend along.

Lennox nods, beginning to pad toward Highledge without turning back to look at his brother.

"We'll catch up later, Twigpaw," Donalbain mews to the skinny dusky brown tabby, hurrying after Lennox.

Goosedown pads after the two toms, offering Tortoisepaw a small smile.

The gray-brown apprentice had taken a liking to Twigpaw and the two were now good friends, even though Brambleblossom wasn't a big fan of the situation.

Goosedown found it sweet, partly because it irritated Brambleblossom.

The three toms reach Highledge, and Lennox begins climbing up the stone slope to the top where Stormstar's den stood.

Donalbain follows after, sighing, and Goosedown comes up behind the golden brown tom.

He heard quiet conversation occuring between Stormstar and Meadownose; since losing a life to greencough perhaps a moon prior, the ThunderClan leader had been less willing to face her Clanmates for whatever reason.

"Stormstar?" Lennox mews, wasting no time at all.

A short series of shuffles echo from within the den, and a few heartbeats later Meadownose sticks her head out.

The tortoiseshell she-cat's expression hardens upon seeing the former kittypets, and she sharply twitches an ear.

"What do you need?"

Donalbain steps forward with a swish of his tapered tail.

"...I wish to discuss something with you and Stormstar, if it's a convenient time."

Meadownose sighs, though appears to concede upon seeing Goosedown.

"Come in."

-=-

Now seated beside Donalbain across from Stormstar, Goosedown licks his chest fur as his friend prepares to speak.

The ThunderClan leader, situated comfortably in her nest, gazes softly at Donalbain and Lennox; Meadownose draws a paw over her ear, averting her gaze in disinterest.