The Star and Moons

Maya woke up, finding herself on a makeshift cot and saw two individuals sitting at a distance. They turned around the moment she spotted them and walked towards her.

If she were from Earth, she would have probably screamed her lungs out at one of them, who was more wolf than man and clad in black armor, but she had more than enough adventures in space to be jarred at the mere sight of a non-human.

The other wore a grey half sleeved shirt and denim shorts. Maya noticed strands of white hair sticking out of his otherwise brown wavy hair.

Her head was still spinning. The last thing she remembered was being sucked into the portal and Shondra's screams fading into the distance.

"Who are you?" She asked them, trying to get up, but falling back due to exhaustion.

"I am Merrick and this is my companion, Zen Aku." The human male explained. "You came out of a portal in front of us. We mean you no harm, whoever you are."

She gazed at her surroundings, her eyes taking in the lush greenery around her and the lake in the distance. It felt like home but she was sure she was not in Mirinoi anymore.

"I am on Earth, aren't I?" She sighed, forcing herself into a sitting position.

The two looked at each other.

"You mean to say you aren't from Earth?" Merrick asked disbelievingly.

"I told you she wasn't human." Zen Aku told Merrick with a tiny bit of smugness.

"I am Maya from the planet Mirinoi." She introduced herself. "I was sent here to protect this planet from a threat."

"What threat?" Merrick asked.

"And how can you protect it? You may not be human, but you are just as frail." The wolf scoffed.

Maya raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

Merrick facepalmed before giving her an apologetic smile. "He is not good with words. He did not mean any offence."

Zen Aku nodded grudgingly. "Accept my heartfelt regrets. I did not mean to attack your human like sensibilities."

"No offence taken, I guess?" She shook her head hurriedly.

"Loyax said I am key to stopping this threat. That I must find my pack?" She murmured softly to herself.

"You didn't mention this threat…" Merrick pointed out. "If Earth is in danger, we will help you in your quest."

"How?" Maya asked, her eyes straying to her empty wrist. "Even I can't be of any help without my morpher."

"Morpher…" Merrick mused. "You are a ranger?"

"I was." She replied. "I don't know why the portal brought me here to you two, but if it did, it was for a reason."

"Maybe because Merrick was the Lunar Wolf Ranger." Zen Aku said.

"You were a ranger too?" Maya asked.

He nodded.

"And you?" She asked the duke org.

"I…" The wolf warrior looked down ashamedly. "I was a lone spirit lost in darkness, before Merrick showed me the error of my ways."

"Whatever he did was in the past. He is good now!" Merrick said instantaneously, as if expecting Maya to accuse Zen Aku of being a villain.

"I believe you." She smiled at them.

"Even after knowing my past, you trust me just like that?" Zen Aku asked disbelievingly. The other Wild Force rangers had a strong reaction to seeing him alongside Merrick. Though they later accepted him, they never trusted him completely.

Maya laughed.

"Your past does not define you, Zen Aku. One of the rangers on my team was raised to be evil her whole life. She nearly destroyed the entire universe, but when given a second chance, she saved my team from getting destroyed many times and even now, she travels across the stars, helping those in need and making up for all the evil she did." She told him. "And you remind me of another friend. He was once a great warrior for good but he lost his way, becoming the very thing he fought against. He was sent to destroy my team but, in the end, he died protecting us. His spirit warned me of this threat and sent me here. He never got the chance to fully redeem himself, but I am glad you do."

"I see." Zen Aku nodded.

Maya's eyes widened as she realized something. "Wait, you are a wolf warrior. He was a wolf ranger and so was I! Maybe you two were the pack I was meant to find!"

"That's good but we still do not know of this threat we were supposed to fight against." Merrick said.

"Loyax did not tell me much besides a great evil having arisen on Earth and that only my pack can help me." Maya sighed. "It would have helped if he had told a bit more."

"Spirits seldom do." Merrick mused. "He could not have, even if he wanted to. They are bound by rules to not interfere much. The fact he went to all these lengths to bring us together says a lot about the threat we are facing."

"We should contact the other rangers of Earth, warn them of this threat." She decided. "On my last visit to this planet, I met the Lightspeed Rangers hailing from a city called Mariner Bay."

"That was before my time as a ranger." Merrick said thoughtfully, stroking his goatee. "I doubt they would still be active. They may have gone their separate ways, like mine has. We might try contacting my team. None of us still have any powers but I am sure they will be ready to help however they can."

"Or we can go directly to the source." Zen Aku surmised. "The chances are this new threat will be linked to whatever enemy the current ranger team is facing. So, we meet them."

Merrick wracked his brain. He had met up with the other rangers a few months ago and Taylor mentioned something about a new team showing up in a city, which had disheartened them because no evil had shown up to attack the year before and they had thought that they could finally catch a break from evil forces attacking them every year.

"Briarwood." He remembered. "The new team is in a place called Briarwood."

"Great!" Maya exclaimed. "Lead the way."

Merrick scratched the back of his head.

"You don't have any idea where it is, is it?" Maya asked.

"No." Merrick said. "We usually go where the wind takes us."

Maya blinked. She certainly never expected someone from Earth to say this. Most humans, even those who left Earth to live in Terra Venture, never blindly trusted anything, yet this man did so willingly.

"You are not an ordinary human, are you?" She found herself asking.

"I am a knight of Animaria, a kingdom that reigned three thousand years ago. I was trapped in a prison that kept me frozen in time since then, till I joined the Wild Force rangers." He told her quickly. "This world and it's ways are new to me."

Maya could tell that there was more to the story but she did not press for further information.

"Is there a way you can contact your team? Maybe they can tell us where this place is." She suggested.

"It is a good thing Alyssa insisted I keep this with me." Merrick smiled, taking out a phone from his pant pockets.

Suddenly, a strong wind pushed past them and they heard a howl in the distance. They looked at each other shocked.

"There will be no need for that." Zen Aku said. "It is calling us."

"Me too." Maya nodded as she stood up. She could sense something tugging at the back of her mind.

"I can feel it too." Merrick agreed.

Oddly enough, she felt completely rejuvenated, the exhaustion from travelling through the portal having completely disappeared.

"Let's go." Merrick said, quickly slinging a brown bag around his shoulder.

Maya took a deep breath as they started their journey.