Chapter two

Her brown eyes seemed to flash red in the morning light. I always thought she was half demon, but I dare not say anything about it.

"We'll who do we have here? Haven't you ever heard of space?" Mom grabbed me by the shoulders and threw me down the last couple stairs until I landed on the floor with a "thump!" My hand gushed blood from where it sliced on the stair railing, but that was the least of my problems.

Mom finished tormenting me with the cat and I was back upstairs getting dressed. I tried on a pink silk short sleeve shirt that showed red scratches that ran down my arms.

"That won't work. My friends will ask what happened. If they even care." As she was murmuring to herself Alex never noticed the door creek open. While admiring a purple rose in her hair her brother's cat slowly crept up behind her. Her orange tail swooshed and with one great leap she pounced on Alex's shoulders.

"Aaaa!" She yelled as the cat started ripping at her hair. Finally she threw the cat onto her bed and looked in the mirror. Her purple rose was torn to shreds and her hair was tangled.

"Alex one of your friends are here!" Her mom shouted her name from the kitchen door.

"Brenda!" Last night she wasn't in the mood to talk, but right now it could be her ounce of happiness. She threw on a pair of green jeans a blue ruffled shirt and put on a yellow hat to cover the brown mess of hair. She shut the door and ran downstairs. Not bothering to sit through breakfast she grabbed her bag and ran out the door to greet her best friend. They ran down the long gravel driveway and onto the road before they talked.

"So why didn't you text me last night?" Brenda adjusted her bag on her shoulder.

"I was sleeping and didn't check my messages today." Alex was lying so wouldn't have to deal with Brenda's drama today. Anyways who knows how much drama there'll be in class