"Mother!  Why are Eleanor's dresses better than mine?" Daphne whined to her mum.

"Well dear, they're more suited for her age.  They might look better but remember you are diamond," Violet smiled at her daughter and silently wondered why Madame Delacroix made Eleanor's to be better.  And the diamond got the best men.  Daphne's dresses were just as pretty, they were just a bit more simple, which was Daphne's style anyway.  So Violet tried to remind Daphne of this and told Eleanor she was sorry for Daphne's behaviour, whilst complimenting her beautiful dresses.

"That is very true.  I am, aren't I?" Daphne did a little twirl with her dress in front of her.  "I can't wait to wear this to the ball."

Eleanor still stared and marveled at her beautiful dresses, especially one in particular and just knew she was going to wear it to the ball.

*

Eleanor wasn't the only cousin who had come into the ton on such short notice.  The Featherington's also had a cousin come in, in hopes that that maybe one of the Featherington's will be married off.  What they didn't know was that she had a secret.

(A secret that very well could harm her if she told the wrong people.  It was a secret that was so damaging that it could ruin her reputation.  These days, that was most important to a lady.  And if her reputation was tainted in any way, they were cut off from society).

Eleanor was getting ready for the ball with her lady maids as they helped her in her corset first before putting her in her dress that Madame Delacroix made for her.  It was so beautiful and she marveled at it as they put it on her.  

"You look stunning," Eleanor commented to her cousin as she came into her room after she was dressed.

"Thank you," Daphne raised her head up higher and made no comment about her dress.

*

"Oh Lady Danbury," Violet gushed at the older woman.  "I do believe you have not met my daughter and niece.  Daphne and Eleanor."

"Pleased to meet you," Eleanor spoke with clarity and sincerity whilst Daphne's tone came out a bit more snobbish than she would have liked.  Lady Danbury looked rather pleased with the two women, despite Daphne's behaviour, they both seemed rather sure of themselves.  She smiled at the two women.

"Pleasure is all mine," Lady Danbury told them.  "Do tell because I don't remember ever hearing of an Eleanor Bridgerton.  Are you here for the season?"

"Yes," Eleanor nodded her head as Lady Danbury listened with interest.  "I'm originally from France."

"Oh, so you speak French?" She asked.

"Oui, je parle français," she replied with a smile (Yes, I speak French).  

"Impressive," Lady Danbury nodded her head as she also spoke to Daphne some but Violet wanted her daughter to socialise and excused them both whilst she left Eleanor behind.  "And what about you, Daphne?"

"No, I'm afraid not," she answered.

"Shame," Lady Danbury tutted.  "Maybe your cousin Eleanor can teach you.  I do believe it would do you well to know other languages."

Eleanor was rather uncomfortable at the thought though as Daphne wasn't the one who asked.  Lady Danbury did have a knack for making others uncomfortble in situations.