diamond

It was that time of year again: the season. This was Eleanor's first season so it would be her debut in London. Genevieve, the modiste, had kindly made her dresses along with her cousins with love, care and thoughtful consideration to how each one should look. She of course also made them all the most beautiful as she wanted everyone to know where they had bought them.

Everyone knew anyway since Genevieve's store was the place to shop for everyone who was anyone.

Eleanor didn't want to overshadow Daphne by any means as she wasn't really here for the season like her father had expected to be. She had explained this to Genevieve but being ever so sweet and gracious, Genevieve didn't care. She wanted to make everyone the most beautiful gowns the ton had ever seen.

The dress Eleanor had chosen was a pale pink/white colour. The embellished gown has a floral artwork design with shimmering white sequins. It's beautifully crafted with tulle details and a voluminous skirt that helped to create movement when Eleanor walked. She looked dazzling and every bit of a woman which was completely different than her appearance two nights ago.

When Eleanor turned the age of two-and-twenty, her parents were worried that she might not ever marry. Hence, why Eleanor convinced her parents to let her travel to Mayfair, London and see if she could find a suitable husband here. Since none in France seemed interested in her. Little did they know she schemed her way out of proposal's and that was why she did not receive any.

Her papa was worried that she might grow sinister around the idea of marriage since his family had not approved of his.

(And little did he know, he was partially right. Her uncle not giving his blessing for their marriage put a sour taste in her mouth. Much like when she ate one of those lemon sour candies. Only the end result wasn't pleasantly and surprisingly sweet. It was full of bitterness and sourness.)

Eleanor was helping Daphne get ready along with Lady Bridgerton for her first debutante season. Daphne had been preparing and prepping to become the diamond of the season. That was all Lady Bridgerton, otherwise known as Violet, ever wanted for her daughter. Being the diamond of the season meant so much more than most people outside of London realised.

The diamond of the season seemed to be able to have their first picks in men. They were the rarity that stood out to the Queen and all that mattered at the end of the day was that they fulfilled their duty and became a wife and eventually mother to someone. This was all Daphne ever knew and Eleanor could see the look of determination in her eyes as she could tell Daphne was not a force to be reckoned with this season. She had her eyes on the prize.

And that prize was to be the diamond.

"You look beautiful, Daphne," Eleanor marveled at her cousin.

"Are you sure?" Daphne asked her, not believing someone who claims they are her cousin when she has never known her. "What d'you think, mother?"

(Eleanor was put off a bit by her dismissive attitude but she chose to ignore it for the sake of what today was. She knew how important this day was to Daphne and she didn't want to ruin it by being petty back.)

And it took a lot of will power to not talk back.

"DAPHNE!!!" They heard a yell from downstairs which could only mean that it was from Eloise. "YOU MUST MAKE HASTE!"

"I think that's our cue to leave," Violet said as she wore a cheerful smile.

Eleanor let out a tiny giggle and Daphne, ever the frazzled one, made her way out the room almost as if she forgot the others in her family. This was after all her debut. This was what she had been working toward and now? The day had finally arrived.