Chapter Twenty Four

Start from the beginning

"That sounds lovely," Alexander replied, a small smile on his face. "I'm sure you'll have a great time at the estate. It's a beautiful place."

Ingrid nodded, feeling a mix of excitement and nostalgia. "Yes, I'm looking forward to it," she said. "It's been a while since I went to the countryside, and I miss spending time with Elora and Charlotte."

"I'm glad you're going," Alexander said sincerely. "It'll be good for you to have a change of scenery."

"I agree," Ingrid replied, sitting down on the edge of his bed. "I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone again."

Alexander's expression softened as he looked at his sister. "You know, I'm glad you and Elora are close friends," he said. "She's been a great support to me, and I'm glad she has someone like you in her life too."

Ingrid smiled warmly. "Elora is amazing," she said. "I'm grateful to have her as a friend. And I'm grateful to have you as a brother too."

Alexander chuckled. "Well, I try my best," he teased.

"Oh! Charlotte also mentioned that Elora meets a gentlemen at the party, Abigail too. Charlotte seems to be quite thrilled about it and so am I."

"Oh, really?" Alexander replied, his curiosity piqued. "And who might this gentleman be?"

Ingrid smiled mischievously. "I don't know. Charlotte did not mentioned that in her letter. Do you want me to get his name?"

"No, don't be silly."

"If you say so, brother. And from what she told Charlotte, it sounds like they had a great time."

"That's good to hear," Alexander said, a faint smile appearing on his lips. "I'm glad Elora is enjoying herself."

Ingrid looked at her brother, sensing that there was something more he wanted to say. "What about you, Alexander?" she asked gently. "Have you been enjoying yourself lately?"

He hesitated for a moment before answering. "I suppose I have," he said.

"It's good to see you getting back to your old self."

He smiled faintly. "Thank you, Ingrid," he said. "It hasn't been easy, but I'm trying my best."

"I know you are," Ingrid said, giving him a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

Ingrid hesitated for a moment before broaching the sensitive topic. "Alexander," she began gently, "I hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you feel about Elora possibly dating someone new?"

Alexander looked thoughtful for a moment before replying, "Honestly, Ingrid, it's a bit strange for me to think about Elora dating someone else. We were engaged once, and I did love her deeply. But circumstances changed, and we had to part ways."

"I understand," Ingrid said gently. "It must be hard to see her moving on, especially when you still care about her."

"Yes, it is," Alexander admitted. "But I also know that I made the decision to end our engagement for a reason. I want Elora to be happy, even if it's not with me."

Ingrid nodded, understanding her brother's feelings. "You're a good man, Alexander," she said. "It takes a lot of strength to let go and wish someone happiness, even when it's not with us."

Alexander smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Ingrid," he said. "And I must admit, seeing Elora happy would bring me some comfort too."

"I'm sure it would," Ingrid replied. "And who knows, maybe you'll find happiness too, in your own time and in your own way."

"I hope so," Alexander said, a hint of wistfulness in his voice.

They spent a little more time chatting before Ingrid finally stood up to leave. "I should get going," she said. "I still have some things to prepare for the trip."