"Ok, I know Mummy and Papa both went and they said it was lots of fun and I'd be close to Grandma and Grandpa's house I think, but Mummy and Papa will be a long way away in Anglesey." I said.

"Do you know that your father used to board at the school just over the river at Eton? And when he was younger, he would come here sometimes and have tea with me. I think you'd be close enough to come up here for tea with me, if you'd like?" I nodded as Granny smiled at me. "And your great Grandfather will take you out to the stables for a ride, your father hasn't stopped telling me how much you're loving your riding at the moment." 

"I love it, Papa said I'll be able to ride lots more when I go to Marlston." I told her.

"Next year is going to be a year full of change Alice, with moving schools and your parents getting married, I know that now that seems really hard, but I know that you can do it." Granny said.

"How do you know?" I asked.

"Because Alice, I see so much of your mother and father in you. They have had busy and sometimes tough periods in their lives and they have overcome it all, and I know that you will do the same. There's also a little part of me in you, and I know, without a doubt, that one day, you will make the most amazing Queen, I promise you of that." she smiled.

"Thank you Granny, I hope I'm as good as you." I said.

"Now, your mother won't be back for an hour or so, perhaps the two of us could go out for a ride?" she asked.

"I would like that." I said.

Will

"Did Alice tell you much about tea with my grandmother?" I asked Kate when I got home late the evening after Alice's tea with Granny.

"She said they had tea and then went riding but she clammed up when I asked about what they spoke about." Kate replied.

"You know what she's like. I'm sure it won't be the end of the conversation." I told her reassuringly as I sat down on the sofa beside her.

"Do you think that we're making the right decision?" Kate asked a couple of moments later. I turned to her with a shocked expression on my face. "I don't mean us getting married, I love you and you know that I want to marry you, I mean us getting married and what that means for Alice." I took a deep breath as I pulled Catherine closer to me.

"You know that it makes very little difference to me. Even if we didn't get married, the first child I have will be the heir to the throne after me." I told her. "But I want to have children with you, I want to spend the rest of my life with you, and I know that the implications of that for Alice seem hard to get our heads around now, she's only eight but-" I paused.

"But what?" Kate asked.

"But I can think of no one better to do that role than Alice, even if she is only eight. She is so kind and conscientious and caring and she's thinks about every possible option before making a decision and she listens to people's opinions and values the fact that other people may think differently to her. And yes, maybe she is that way because we have always known that if we got married then she will one day be Queen, and we have been biased to raise her in a way that she holds all of those personality traits. But Kate, honestly, I don't think that's the case. I think she's like that, because like we've said on so many occasions, she is the perfect combination of both of us. The kind, caring, compassionate sides of both of us, mixed with my deep thinking and your decision making skills, along with so many other things." I said. "I know that it seems scary right now, to think of our little girl one day being the Monarch of this country and the Commonwealth but she has lots of time to live her life before then. She won't be like my grandmother and do the job when she's only just finding her feet in the world, I wouldn't let that happen. But I promise you that behind every amazing Monarch, is their support team, their cheerleaders, right behind them, supporting them and loving them no matter what happens. That is why Alice will be excellent, because she'll have you, and your parents and your family and her godparents and our friends right behind her, cheering her on every step of the way. There is no one else I want to have my children with. I've witnessed how beautifully you've raised Alice for eight years and I couldn't want anymore." Kate lifted her head from my arm and looked up at me, with tears in her eyes.

"And do you know who will be standing right behind you? Your cheerleader, when it's your turn?" she said. I shook my head. "Me, and Alice of course, but I'll be there, for your time, as your wife, I promise. And if you have ever thought about that role and felt scared, I don't want you to feel that anymore, because I will be there, by your side, through it all. For you to make the world a better place for Alice, and our children." she smiled.