“Get off of me, mutt!” I see Kit backed deep into a corner, three enemy wolves closing in on him.

“Kit!” Kit’s mate, Arden, runs for him but Damon knocks her out fast with a bloody laugh.

“This could all have been avoided if you’d just come quietly, Arabella. Now you’ve gone and forced me to do something nasty.”

“This is between you and me. Let the others go.” I plead.

“Oh, but hurting your friends is the only thing that seems to get you to listen.” I try to charge forward but he moves to block my path. His body stretches and grows before finally his wolf form takes shape before me.

Suddenly, Caden leaps forward, shifting mid air to sink his fangs into Damon’s fur. I move to help Caden but his golden eyes flash with clear message.

‘Don’t.’

“Caden let me help you.” His sleek black wolf shakes his head at my plea, squaring off with Damon.

With my paw now free, I sprint for the wolves cornering Kit.

“Stop!” The wolves turn to me with snapping, snarling jaws.

“Arabella, stay back. It’s not safe for you.” Kit says.

Something just then churns in my stomach. Not quite fear and not quite rage. This fight has started with me a long time ago. So, I’ll be the one to end it.

It feels like the tranquility of the forest, wisdom of the trees that have stood longer than any other living thing. My eyes flash green, and words seem to form on their own in my mouth: a command ushered from somewhere ancient inside me. Something like…an Alpha command.

“Hey, assholes…I said stop.” The three enemy wolves lock in place as though something immensely strong has stopped them in their tracks. That’s new.

I can feel them straining against my command, but their bodies won’t obey. Damon shifts back down to human form, his face contorted in rage and confusion at what is going on.

“Why are you three listening to her? She’s not your Alpha.” Damon spit out in anger.

“Yeah? Then why did they listen to her?” Kits retorts trying to sit up, clutching a wound at his side flashing a rebellious grin. “You felt her words in your bones. Just like me.”

“Arabella, you did that?” Caden stares at me, mesmerized while Damon swears under his breath.

“Enough of this! Kill that loud mouth. Now!” Damon’s Alpha command pounds through the room with the force of a tidal wave. His three lackies turn back to Kit, their teeth bared and ready to attack. 

I can’t let him win. I won’t let him hurt any more of Caden’s family on my behalf so, I fight through the exhaustion, rising to my full height and forcing out one final command.

“All of you…kill your leader.” I feel the words rocket through the bodies of dozens of wolves as they shiver under the weight of my command immediately turning on Damon.

“What? Don’t you—don’t you dare!” The wolves stalk Damon, baring razor sharp teeth and the threat of death in their eyes.

“Run for your life, Damon. They look hungry for blood.”

“You bitch!” He curses, turning tail and charges off at a sprint. His wolves lunge at him, chasing him out of the pack house and into the woods.

“Huh. I wonder if they’ll actually kill him.”

“They won’t be able to. But they’ll definitely injure him and chase him all the way back to his camp.” Caden says, turning back to me, awestruck.