"H-hi," I stammered and wiped my sweaty palms on my jeans.

"Uh mum, that's Gael... My boyfriend." Abel glanced back at me, jerking his head, almost begging me to come to him.

I went to his side and didn't know what to do. Bow? Shake her hand? Kneel?

"Yes, your father texted me about it." She brought her phone out from her bag, waving it around. She even had a smartphone. Maybe I was expecting a flip-phone or something old like that. My thoughts were everywhere. And they went weird places too, apparently.

"Well, I've come. Maura Creek has been reaching out too. Apparently, there's trouble. Again. Seems like yesterday this very issue was... Well, an issue."

"That was like twenty years ago," Abel muttered and rolled his eyes.

"Eh, time," his mum replied and shrugged, going past us and further into the loft. "Exquisite taste."

"I got it from you. You'd decorate this place exactly like this."

She smiled back at us over her shoulder. "He's right." She turned around and folded her hands in front of her, her arms stretched downwards. "You can call me Nin, Gael."

"That's really pretty," I said before I could stop myself.

"Thank you. I like the name Gael as well. I've always liked names for both boys and girls. I wanted to name Abel Jamie. But alas, my husband did not agree. He's old fashioned."

I managed to stop myself from snorting. He didn't seem old fashioned at all when I had met him. But Nin seemed timeless. Her clothes were obviously expensive, but not in that flashy way. Like there weren't big logos everywhere, but you could tell the red cardigan probably was cashmere and that the silk blouse underneath was actual silk, and not a cheap knockoff. She was also in heels. Very tall heels. She wasn't tall herself, but in her heels, she towered over me. Or it felt like that, but in reality, she was probably maybe a couple of centimetres taller than me. She had nice, manicured nails that matched her bright red lipstick. There was nothing out of place on her. She oozed of class, and it made me nervous and acutely aware of my washed-out jeans with a hole on the knee.

This was about to get awkward on so many levels.

"Uh, my mum's here..." Abel said when Creek opened the door and made a small wave towards his mum. "She wanna talk to your mum."

Creek raised an eyebrow but stepped aside to let us in.

Nin stopped by the door and tilted her head to the side, waiting patiently. When Creek just gave her a weird look, she smiled softly.

"I need the owner of this residence to invite me in, little one. Otherwise, it'd be quite painful for me, unfortunately."

"Oh, shoot, hold on. I'll go get my mum. Mum!" he screamed into the house and went further in, looking for Maura.

"I'll just wait here," Nin murmured and sent me a cheeky smile. I couldn't stop an unattractive snort before it was too late.