Chapter 21: Green Eyes

Începe de la început

"If I can successfully become a politician in a place of authority and power, I could potentially forward the motion of mandatory service in the military, excluding those deemed unfit, or the sponsorship of the military. Not only would this increase our numbers and resources, it could also help introduce new skill sets into our offensive and defensive plays against the Titans. It would mean massive strides in progress over time and could end conflicts between residents of different walls".

As I finished, I looked up to gauge everyone's reaction. Eren looked baffled by the lecture yet interested. Jean had a hand under his chin, whilst Marco leaned back, looking up at the ceiling. Everyone else in the cabin was silent as well, lost in though.

"It is a good idea" Armin began, a few beds down to my right. He stood up and walked forward before sitting next to Eren at the foot of my bed. "But it will be very difficult to pass such a law considering the mindsets and attitudes we have heard of and seen from within wall Rose and Sina. People will not be eager to support a law that means their, or their family's direct involvement within the military."

"Not to mention" Reiner added, remaining seated on his bed, thumb and index tucked under his chin.

"It may take years for you to climb the ranking before anyone will take what you say seriously. And years is time some of us just won't have".

I knew what he meant by that. Of course, referring to our limited lifespan, but to everyone else, our fight against the titans being a consistently fatal one.

"That is the challenge at hand" I said, swinging my feet to my bedside and standing up, stretching. I walked around Eren and Armin to my trunk at the end of my bed, grabbing my cadet cloak from within it and throwing it over my shoulders. "But I am confident that I will figure something out".

"Where are you going?" Berthold questioned as I made my way to the door.

"Just heading out for some fresh air. I need to think much deeper on this if I am to have any chance of accomplishing this goal" I smiled back through half lidded eyes, opening the door to a light breeze before closing it behind me, leaving the rest to ponder what I could be thinking.

As days and weeks passed, as we honed our skills in aerial and physical combat, as we sharpened our minds in the classroom, the approaching day of graduation flew into fruition. I stood in the front row of cadets, among those chosen in the top 10 number of recruits eligible enough to apply for positions within wall Sina. My goal was in sight. The royal family was in sight.

She...was in sight. A fox with an arrow trained on her neck.

Beside me stood the rest of the cadets ranked within the top 10 of 218 recruits graduating from the 104th cadet training corp. I stood with Reiner to my left and Berthold to my right, hands behind our backs with our heads help upright as we faced toward the torch light steps before us. Commanders, generals within the military, our trainers and Shadis made their way onto the top step, to face down upon us all.

"DO YOU HAVE HEART!?" the man who stood at the front of the steps, bellowed down on us.

"SIR!!" the surrounding cadets bellowed back, forming the salute with their right fists over their hearts, the left remaining tucked behind their back. I followed suite, calling back to the man before us.

"As of this moment, you have three options available to you! Choose wisely!" he said, straightening his back higher and taking a breath.

"The Garrison regiment, whose job is to reinforce the walls!" he said, gesturing to a banner on his right, our left which held a shield design decorated with roses.

"The Scout regiment, who's job is to ride out into Titan country to take back what once was ours!" he continued, gesturing to his left, our right to the banner decorated with two crossing wings.