Chapter 14: New Adjustments

Start from the beginning

"You're living here, therefore you're welcome to do whatever you want," Hans said. "I'm glad that you did that. It was very smart and helpful."

"If you want, we can go over chapter eleven. I don't mind rereading it."

"It's alright. When we're finished, I'll read that chapter."

Ella removed her index finger from chapter eleven and opened the book back to chapter twelve. Her eyes peered down at the words below. "Magic can attain hundreds of abilities for the individual who possesses them. The individual's hair color might correspond with their powers. However, that is not always the case." Ella peered up at Hans.

"You're a perfect example of this," Hans pointed out. "Your hair is not affected by your magic. Queen Elsa's hair is whitish-blonde, most likely because of her powers. And Cassandra said that her hair was blue when she had the moonstone."

"What about you with your powers, Hans?"

"My family, except for one of the twins, have red hair," Hans explained. "My hair is the brightest because of my magic."

Ella blinked, then peered back down at the page. "Any person can receive their magic in a multitude of ways. They could be cursed, they could be blessed, an event could occur prepartum, or their magic could be passed down from their parents." That must've been how she was given her magic, and she remembered Hans saying that he was born with his. "Regardless of how they obtained their magic, they can pass down their powers to their offspring and so on. Could that be how I got my magic?"

"Possibly. Keep going."

"Vlad Moonstormer discovered that each person with magic can perform their own abilities," Ella continued. "Some individuals have stronger magic than others. Other than controlling ice and snow, what else could I possibly do with my magic?"

"I remember seeing Queen Elsa walking on water with her ice magic," Hans recalled, causing Ella to peer up at him. "I've seen her create a large ice castle in the North Mountain and I fought some kind of snow monster that she made. I think that she even created her own dresses. I don't know what else she does with her magic, but if she could do those things, then you probably can as well."

"What can you do with your powers, Hans?" Ella asked, craning her head towards him. She was so close to him that she could see her own reflection in his green eyes.

"Here, let me show you, Ella." Hans rose from his seat and grabbed a candle before he set it on the middle of the table. He removed his right glove and flattened his hand above it. A small flame appeared at the wick of the wax candle. "Watch this." He closed his index finger and thumb against the fire, setting the flame out. Ella was transfixed by the scene. "I did this in Arendelle, but I licked my fingers so I wouldn't show any evidence of my magic."

"And that doesn't hurt you?"

Hans shook his head. "I'm immune to the fire. It can't hurt me." He waved his hand above the candlestick, forming another flame. "Let's see what you could do with your magic."

As Ella reached for her glove, she felt her hand shaking and heard her breathing. This shouldn't be any different from the peach. She bit her lip and was moving her hand towards the candlestick until it paused in midair.

"It's alright," Hans reassured. "You'll be fine. Just freeze the flame."

For a long moment, Ella's hand remained in the air, inches away from the candle. She felt the temperature heating up. She gulped when her hand slowly moved towards the candle until she saw that ice was creeping underneath the candlestick, over the table, and towards Hans, causing her to finally jerk her hand back and slid her glove back on. "No, No! I can't! I almost hurt you! I don't want to hurt anyone!"