Kusuo Saiki Just Wants to Live a Normal Life

Saiki unlocked the door to his home and stepped inside, letting out an irritated sigh as he crossed the threshold into the house. He was still mulling over why he'd made that awful decision. It didn't make any more sense now than it did thirty minutes ago. He rationalized, though, that he had done it for the sweets. Not out of any concern for Teruhashi or any of his friends. Kusuo Saiki would never do something out of care for his friends.

Now for the more important matter.

That blonde prick. He didn't want to interact with him of course, but after today he didn't really have a choice. Overdramatic as always, Saiki let out another sigh and sat down on his couch. He reached for the ordinary looking television remote and pressed the especially engineered button that would allow him to communicate with his brother through the screen. Although Kusuke was in space, Saiki's parents wouldn't be able to stand a day without their precious son, so Kusuke had designed this for them.

The screen turned on, but nobody was present, at least visually. Kusuke's voice rang out clearly through the speakers.

"Is that you, father? I'll be with you in a moment."

Saiki didn't respond, wanting to minimize the amount of vocal interaction he would need to have with his brother.

Kusuke soon came on screen, wheeling into view in his rolling chair, and was delighted to see his younger brother had so eagerly reached out to speak to him.

"Oh, Kusuo! Glad to see you again."

He leaned in uncomfortably close to the camera.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?"

Overly pompous, as always.

Saiki groaned, attempting to anticipate his brother's reaction to his powers flaring up again.

"My powers are acting up again."

Kusuke looked delighted before, but now his face was practically glowing.

"Oh really?" He said with stars in his eyes. "What makes you think that?"
Saiki proceeded to list the events of the day, not bothering to disguise his anger with his brother. He deliberately numbered the events with his fingers, and his hands shook lightly as he did so.

Kusuke laughed, whether it was to himself or at Saiki he couldn't tell.

"You know you don't have the physiology of a normal human, right?"

Saiki looked at the screen with a mix of anger and uncertainty in his expression, clearly confused about what Kusuke meant.

Kusuke laughed again, this time more confidently and openly.

"What, did you think your musculature and physical abilities would have developed the same as any other average boy? You're aware you spent the vast majority of your life as a superhuman psychic with god-like abilities, correct?"

Now it made sense to Kusuo, although it didn't make him any happier about the situation. Not bothering to respond, Saiki maintained his neutral stare and grabbed the remote, gripping it tightly as he turned the television off. He got up off the couch, not even bothering to make himself a meal before walking up to his room and collapsing on his mattress. Today had left him exhausted, and there was no doubt in his mind that tomorrow would be even worse. The events of the day replayed vividly in his head, rolling consistently like a picture show. The incident with the fly, the grip trainer in gym class, but most of all the conversation with Teruhashi. He'd told himself it was just about the sweets, but that still didn't explain why the rational part of his brain had spontaneously taken a day off the moment she'd started pleading with him. The thoughts haunted him all the way until he fell asleep.