-026-

"So Legacy" I heard Hangman start over the radio "I heard from a little birdie that you and Rooster might be you know dating"

"Who told you that?" I questioned at him while I crossed my arms, I looked over at his plane, he was looking at me already. "Also can they hear us?" I asked, wondering if anyone else can hear us. "No, we are tapped into a different station, but they can connect anytime." He explained to me. "Oh got it, so therefore we should stop talking about my relationship life" I smiled to myself, I already knew they couldn't hear us I just wanted to be a smart ass. And he knew that.

He laughed over the radio, then stopped "he will be fine up there." He assured me, I nodded to myself, "yeah, I hope so."

The radio went quiet as we watched all the planes take off. One by one. I quickly looked over at Hangman, he was watching them too. "You really want to be up there huh? It's killing you" I joked at him, "yeah I do" he spoke in such a serious tone, that I kinda felt bad for bringing it up. "So before we are tapped into the other radio, I just want to say you really turned around for the better" I told him, he really change, even if he doesn't realize it.

"Well after you bitch slapped me I realized it's kind of shitty to be a jerk. You know?" He explained to me laughing, I stayed quiet, waiting to be tapped into the other radio so Hangman and I can hear the mission.

"Dagger one up and ready in catapult way" I heard my dad say over the radio. "Dagger spare standing by." Hangman informed, "Dagger spare two standing by" I then informed after Hangman over the radio.

"Dagger four, up and ready" payback spoke

"Dagger three, up and ready" Phoenix spoke after payback finished.

"Dagger two, up and ready" rooster was the last to speak.

"Support assets, airborne, strike package ready. Standing by for launch decision." Hangman and I heard over our radios.

"Send them" admiral Beau smith ordered, that when maverick took off, the others waiting for their turns.

Hangman and I look at each other, putting our eye covers down on our helmets. Us both wishing we were flying, our air masks were not clicked into both sides just one. There was no point for both. On this aircraft carrier we were breathing fine, but you could tell we were both nervous, by the way our chest moved up and down rapidly. I look back at Rooster's plane.

"Dagger two away." When I heard that I watched Rooster's plane for as long as I could. This could be the last time I see him, or I guess his plane. My heart was beating so fast that everyone could probably hear it over the radio. "Legacy, Hangman we will be off the radio for a while, we will give you updates as the mission progresses." Hondo informed us, I looked over at Hangman "Hondo" I started, but before I can finish he speaks again "sorry Legacy, it's an order." I sighed and leaned my head back super frustrated.

They disconnected Hangman and I from their radios. Hangman and I could still talk to each other though which was nice. "This is bullshit" I huffed at Hangman, "they need to focus, Legacy you know that."

Of course I know that, but usually they let the reserves listen unless they had a very good reason to not let them. "Yeah I know" I knew the real reason though, and Hangman did too. They didn't want me hearing if my dad or Rooster gets shot down. It makes sense kind of.

Hangman didn't say anything, it was so silent that we could hear each other breathing. "Soooo will we just sit here in silence orrrrrrr" I laughed a little, "do you want me to sing or something" Hangman spoke looking over at me, again since we didn't have our breathing masks on I could see his smile. "Sure, it would be kind of funny if they tapped in and heard us singing" I smiled back at him. "What's your favorite song?" I questioned him, looking back in front of me at the aircraft carrier that we were on. "American Pie" he answered quickly, "it's my moms too, she would sing it to me when I was little"

"Aw that's sweet Bagman." Looking back at him I started, "But you know that's about a couple of people that died in a plane crash right?" I laughed at his poor choice. "Oh my gosh, deadass?" He was practically in shock, I nodded at him. "It's true"

"But....A long, Long time ago, I can still remember how that music used to make me smile" I sang very bad on purpose, "you're gonna make my ears bleed Legacy" he pretended to cover his ears over his helmet. "Come you know it" I told him, laughing at his reaction. He started "and I knew if I had my chance. That I could make those people dance" then I chimed in, "and maybe they would be happy for a while, but February made me shiver" i brought up my hand as a microphone and Hangman did the same, "With every paper I'd deliver, Bad news on the doorstep, I couldn't take one more step, I can't remember if I cried. When I heard about his widowed bride." We both sang, then he stopped and let me finish the intro.

"But something touched me deep inside, the day the music died." I finished, I actually tried to sing good the rest of the intro, since the first couple lines I sang bad on purpose. We both looked at each other and sang super loud "So, bye-bye, Miss American pie, Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the...." We were cut off by Hondo over the radio. Hangman and I's eyes went big and we started to laughed really hard. "You two knock it off, that's what admiral told me to tell you, you know there are people over here hearing your conversation right? Don't worry it's funny but they would probably like you two to stay professional. Once I leave this radio call nobody can hear you two, only you two can hear each other."

"Do you have an update for us Hondo?" I questioned, "not at this moment, I'm out, I'll give you two an update ASAP." He informed us.

I looked back at Hangman, "no way they heard us." I giggled at him, he was laughing so hard it probably couldn't breathe. And for a moment I forgot about my dad and Rooster on this mission. And for the first time I'm thankful you have Hangman be my Wingman.

WOW LONG TIME NO SEE. I'm actually so sorry about leaving you all like that, I lost all my motivation but here I am!!!!! I can't say I'm officially back because who knows 😭. Thank you all so much for 40k reads!!!! Remember to eat and drink, also share this story with your Top Gun loving friends!
-E