"Making Papa arrange me to be courted to your dear friend? Oh yes, I am." Her smile widened. "My 30th birthday is coming up and... well... it is long past due for me to get married. Benedict is my perfect match, don't you think, sister?" Her dark skin glowed under the light of the candle chandelier in the hallway. "But there is this... slight obstacle in my way."

I swallowed forcefully. "And what is that?"

She chuckled under her breath as she took a single step closer to me. Her eyes piercing down at me with a darkened shadow. A cold smirk upon her lips. "You, sister. It's you." Her smirk dropped and nothing but a dark expression covered her face. "I can never get anything I want, can I?"

"Beatrice, what are you-"

"Don't play victim now, Amelia. You know what I'm talking about." She interrupted me with a scoff before lowering her head to my level. "You will stay away from him, you hear me?" She spit the words out with a dark tone. "You will not take this away from me!" She gave me one last glare, flipped her hair in my face as she turned away, walking into her room in an enraged speed and slamming the door.

For a second I stood there in complete shock. I couldn't find the words to describe what I was feeling. Moving from my paralysed spot, I slowly stepped into my room. The crumpled piece of paper, still in my hand after I left the Bridgertons. This couldn't be happening.

Beatrice... marrying Benedict? No. It couldn't possibly be real. It had to be a dream. A nightmare. I unfolded the note in my hand and looked down at Benedict's neat, cursive handwriting.

Our place. Tonight at six.

Our place? I hadn't become aware that the lake had become our place. I smiled down at the crumpled note, but my smile dropped as I remembered the encounter I had with Beatrice a minute ago.

"I'm so sorry, Benedict." I whispered, my eyes still on his beautiful handwriting. I sighed and tore up the paper before throwing it in the bin by my bedside table.

My eyes travelled to the pocket watch on the small table and I sighed once again. 5:48 pm. 12 minutes until I had to be at the lake.

I paced around my room, unsure if I should go or not.

You will stay away from him, you hear me?

But how could I? I'd never met a soul quite as gentle as his. And just when we'd started to become friends. Beatrice had to drop this bomb on me. What could I do. In three days time, my father would be receiving Beatrice's letter, and Benedict would be doomed to marry my sister.

How could I possibly fix this. The short answer was, I couldn't. There was no fixing this. Not when Vincent Allbrook, my father, was involved in the matter. He always won. Always got what he wanted.

I looked back at the clock. 5:52

Stay or go? Stay or go?

UGH!

I sat on the edge of my bed, pondering over my thoughts frantically. I glanced over at my window, seeing the estate across the street. The Bridgerton estate. But, God, how could I go and meet up with him after the conversation I had with my sister. And how could she possibly think such things? To marry Benedict of all people?!

I didn't even know why it bothered me this much. It was true that Beatrice was almost thirty and women at that age were most likely already married with multiple children. But Benedict was my friend and I couldn't possibly think to put him through the misery of spending the rest of his life with someone like Beatrice.

I looked at the watch. 5:56

That's it. I'm going.

I couldn't help it. I couldn't think about leaving him waiting out there only for me not to show up. After all, I wasn't like Beatrice. I opened my bedroom door and walked downstairs to the front door where I found my mother.

"I'll be back soon." I told her as I rushed towards. The door.

"Where are you going?" She asked as I ran out the door.

"I won't be long!" Was all I shouted back as I ran out.

What would've usually been a half hour walk turned into a ten minute run. I was rushing my way from the estates and into the line of threes that blocked everyone's view from the lake.

When I made it through the trees, my run halted. Benedict sat there on the grass, back turned to me as he faced the water. He looked so peaceful. The sun had set and the darkness of the night was starting to bloom. The wind gently blew his hair across and I couldn't help but to admire the scene for a second. Beatrice did not deserve him. Yet here I was, about to do the worst thing possible.

I walked down the hill, approaching him from behind. "Benedict?"

He turned to me, looking at me for a second before smiling brightly. "Amelia." He ushered me to sit next to him, so I did. "For a second I thought you wouldn't come."

For a second I thought so as well.

"Yes. Well, I got... distracted." I explained the simple way, before turning my head to him. His blue eyes engulfed mine and my smile brightened at the sight him. "Your family seems wonderful."

"They are." He said as he smiled once again. "They really like you, you know?"

"Do they?" I asked in curiosity.

"Who wouldn't?"

A lot of people, actually.

I smiled at his response, before turning my eyes back to the lake. The water was still. A duck and her ducklings swam peacefully across the dark water. For a moment, everything was so wonderful. The peacefulness of my surroundings made me think about how my world would be if it weren't for the few people holding me back.

"Is something troubling you?" I heard Benedict's deep voice beside me. Slightly startled, I looked at him, shaking off the previous thoughts.

"Pardon?"

"You seem deep in thought." He chuckled, but a worried look settled on him. He reached over, his hands approaching to touch mine, but I quickly pulled away. This had to be done. I had to end it here. His eyes rose and he looked at me with slight confusion and more worry. "Amelia?"

"Benedict." I stood up. "I- we can't-..." I tried to find a way to tell him, but I was choking on my own words.

"What is it?"

"We..." I took a deep breath, preparing myself for my next words. "Benedict... we can't- I can't be your friend." There. I said it. My own heart sunk at what I'd said and I couldn't even believe it myself.

"What?"

"I'm sorry." I said as I began to walk away, going back up the hill.

"Amelia?"

"I'm sorry." I repeated as I went up the hill even faster. But what I didn't expect was him to follow me and gently take my wrist to keep me from walking away from him.

"Please." His breathing was quick as he panted after running after me up the hill. "Tell me what I've done wrong."

Oh, poor thing. He thought it was his fault. My eyes softened. "Nothing. You've done nothing wrong. This just- it has to be done. I'm sorry." I apologised for the third time as I pulled my hand out of his gentle grasp.

He looked at me with a saddened face and the guilt I felt got even heavier. "Why?" His voice came out as a soft, sorrowful whisper. "Is it your father? Is he making you do this?"

"No. No, I just... I think it's best if we... separate ourselves from each other." It pained me that I couldn't tell him the entire truth even though I so badly wanted nothing more than to be his friend. "No one is making me do it. I-it's my choice."

He took a step back as if offended. "You want this?" He asked. His sad tone almost made me burst into tears. "Amelia, I-" His breath hitched. "I don't understand, I-..." He ran a hand through his hair nervously. "I'm confused."

"I know. I'm sorry. But this is my only choice."

"Your only choice?"

"I have to go. I'm sorry." I stepped back. "Goodbye." And I turned, walking away from him without looking back, fearing it might make me change my mind. But I couldn't. This was the right thing to do. One day he would understand.