Goodbye

Amelia's POV

Amelia's POV.

"Thank you so much for having us, Violet. You have a lovely home and a lovely family. We'll be sure to visit again soon." My mother said back to the Bridgertons as we crowded the front door, preparing to leave.

"Oh, yes! Please do." Violet and my mother actually became very good friends during the two and a half hours spent at their home. However someone appeared to not be enjoying themselves. Beatrice had been staring daggers at me the whole morning, never removing her eyes from me or from Benedict. Whatever it was, I decided to ignore it. She could easily just be in one of her moods today. "We should definitely do this more often. Say, are you free tomorrow evening? I'd like to invite you and your family over for dinner."

"Sounds wonderful." My mother smiled, proud that she befriended Violet.

The maid opened the door, happily allowing us outside, but I felt a hand grab my wrist, making me turn before I was through the door. My eyes the maid's, confusion lacing my face as I stared back at her. Discretely she put a piece of paper in my hand. "It's from my lord." She whispered before letting my hand go. She shot me one last knowing look before closing the door to the Bridgerton estate. Thankfully no one noticed the exchange between the maid and myself. Turning away from the door in slight confusion, I followed my family home. As I was about to enter my room, a voice stopped me.

"Amelia." I recognised the voice to be Beatrice's. I turned, seeing her in her bedroom across from mine with her door wide open as she sat by her vanity, writing something on a piece of paper. "I just wanted to inform you that I'm writing a letter to our father." She said in a bland voice, not even bothering to look up from her writing.

I hesitated for a second, not really knowing how that was any of my concern. "Okay?"

But before I had the chance to turn again, she spoke again. "It's regarding Benedict. Your... friend."

Her tone piqued my interest, and I couldn't help but to be curious and slightly worried. "Benedict?" My voice came out in a tremble. "Why?"

"Why?" She asked in teasing, bitter way as she chuckled, still writing the letter with a quill. "You would agree with me when I say he seems... interesting." She began to melt wax and grabbed a stamp. "Perfect husband material." She folded the letter and put it in an envelope before stamping the blue wax on. "Don't you think so, Amelia?"

I stood there, frozen as I stared into her room, watching her seal the letter. Even my words were frozen. I couldn't move.

She kept on speaking. "He's a handsome one. And he is wealthy. Very wealthy." She stood from her vanity, finally looking up and meeting my eyes. "Papa would be proud if his eldest daughter finally found herself a worthy husband."

My hands began to shake as I slowly realised what she was trying to say. "You're not really doing what I think you're doing." I said as I turned my entire body towards her. She started to approach me at her door, a sickening smile on her face. "Right?"