Chapter 6: Work of Art (Part 2)

Comincia dall'inizio

You see the genuineness of the question written on his face. You hear it in his words. The lack of exposure and awareness of what women go through yes, but...you see in how he looks at you, his eyes and heart and emotions so wholly open, that he just wants to understand. To know the truth.

How anyone is able to say no to him...how they can look at him and not see the purity and good heart inside, is beyond you.

So you sigh, looking away to focus on the floor. The unstoppable coming devastation is sure to snuff out any light still in his eyes, and you just can't handle seeing it happen. Especially not when it comes to him.

"I wish I could say it wasn't, Innie. It's what we deal with on a normal day," you admit softly but plainly. Apathetic and utterly emotionless to keep yourself from diving down that hole of memories. "It's a blessing when we aren't catcalled or approached or followed, so we accept walking around knowing it's not a matter of if, just a matter of when."

I.N's voice is deathly quiet, his eyes trained on the floor as you slowly make your way through the exhibit. You, on the other hand, glancing around, seeing the art...but not really seeing it at all. "I don't know how you guys live like that," he admits softly. "It sounds...it sounds scary and exhausting and sad? I can't even imagine what it must be like."

"Oh but you can." You give a soft nudge of your arm against his as the two of you continue to walk side by side. And although you're sad at your own realization, you try not to let it show. "How is it any different than you being worried about fans finding you when you're out and about? Or being recognized? Or sasaengs coming after one of you?"

You're surprised when I.N whips his head up, his eyes meeting yours, but you aren't surprised to see the realization dawn. The dots connecting behind his eyes.

"In our day and age, it's hard to know who to trust," you continue, making sure to keep your gaze steadily on his. "Even though you want to hold out hope for the few good people there are left, you can't. Just like you can't know if the fan that crosses your path is nice and respectful or demented and dangerous. So you learn to be wary of everyone."

I.N nods slowly at that, seemingly taking it in and processing what you're saying. You see him work through it--the gears turning--the situation taking on a whole new light with the connections he never thought to make until you drew the parallel.

"Then how do you trust us?" I.N's face is raw and openly emotional. It's an avalanche waiting to break the moment the ground shifts. "We're men. You can't trust any of us." He pauses for one singular heartbeat, his voice as quiet as a breath. "You shouldn't."

It absolutely pains you to see him like this. To see him hurting because of you. To see him hurting for you. And it hurts to know you had to be the one to tell him the truth.

Yes, he wanted to know, and you weren't about to lie or play him the fool. But to singe the edges of his innocence and that bubbly, bright outlook...

You may not be able to do much about that anymore, but there is one thing you can do.

"Trusting you boys is easy."

That one little sentence seems to get his attention, his stance straightening a bit as he turns to peer over at you, openly hopeful.

"I can most definitely trust every single one of you. You wanna know how I know?" I.N nods repeatedly at your prompt, unmistakably eager to understand. To know this secret. "Well," you admit softly, the smallest of smiles blooming behind your mask. "It's pretty easy actually. After so many years of being a Stay and seeing you boys grow throughout the years, it's impossible to ignore your guys' openly kind and respectful character, or to see your incredibly loving hearts and not know how genuinely down to earth you all are.