Chapter 14: A DE in the DA

Start from the beginning

"...So say you needed a toilet."

You roll your eyes. "Charming Weasley. But yes, that is the idea."

"It's brilliant!", remarks Harry, already moving into the room to study the fight dummies and heaps of cushions on the floor. "But how did you know about the DA..?"

The group turns towards you.

Your jaw is tense. "It is no secret that the Dark Lord is back. And what use are textbooks when they so carelessly throw around torture and killing curses?" Your fists are balled and your gaze is harsh.

The Gryffondors seem taken aback by your statement, but you pay them no mind. "I want into this club. Or whatever it is. We all know what type of people my family are, so I need all the help I can get to stay sane. Please."

Something about them — about Harry — makes you feel safe. Safe to tell the truth. But not all of it.

They share looks with each other before agreeing that you're okay to join. Hermione makes you sign a piece of paper and after that your officially a member of Dumbledore's Army.

 Hermione makes you sign a piece of paper and after that your officially a member of Dumbledore's Army

Not long after the DA begins its weekly lessons, Umbridge started with counter rules. First groups above a certain amount of people aren't allowed, and then clubs are banned. Quidditch is also under fire and only the Slytherin team is permitted to train.

The nail in the coffin for you is when an Inquisitorial Squad is established for extra credit, which your cousin and his friends eagerly join. Your heart breaks a little when you see Theodore stroll in with the badge pinned on his uniform the next morning at breakfast.

While Draco and his cronies are hunting for the DA, the lessons are a hit. Harry is a phenomenal teacher and has a lot of patience. He makes sure everybody understands the assignment and takes extra time if a student doesn't get it right.

One student that struggles a lot is Neville. And as the spells come easy for you, you've approached Neville to help him. At first, he was all wide-eyed and scared, but after a while, he started to unfreeze.

"Come on, Nev, you can do it! Just aim and hit me!" You encourage the boy the best you can as you brace for the impact that's to come.

"Depulso!", he yells out. But instead of you getting knocked off your feet, Neville himself lands on his behind.

Rushing over, you help him to his feet. "Don't worry, you'll get it eventually."

Neville sighs sadly. "I can't even disarm you, how in Merlin's name could I have thought I could knock you off your feet?!"

Harry appears out of thin air "Everything's with time, Neville. Your wand movements have improved and the only thing you need to work on is your stance. Why don't you ask Hermione to help you?"

The lanky boy nods and scurries off to find her. Harry and you stand next to each other, looking over the room of spell-casting kids.

"You've been doing a great job, Harry." You bump against his shoulder and he smiles.

"I doubt I would be anything if it wasn't for Hermione and Ron."

Turning towards Harry, you give him a deadpan look. "Don't downplay yourself, Harry! Nobody else could have taught the twins anything except you."

Harry runs a hand through his short hair. "And you? You don't look as fine as you claim to be. Hermione told me about Nott and you."

Your mood dulls as you think about the curly-haired boy and your shoulders deflate. Your answer comes out in a whisper. "You know who- what my family is, Harry... I would only hurt him if I continued whatever I had with him. At the rate this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Lord returns by the end of the school year."

"Aren't Nott's family also Death Eaters? His father at least. I think you're hurting him more by not telling him anything than just explaining what's going on in that head of yours."

You look at the Boy Who Lived, who suddenly looks so mature for his age. Most people in this room do. Looking down, you realise he is right. But you're not ready to admit that. Because ignoring and avoiding is so much easier than facing your heartbreak head-on.