Chapter 2

The scorching Texas heat immediately latches onto my skin as I exit the bustling airport. A thick and heavy air hangs out here, a blatant contrast to the cool, air-conditioned building I had just been in. The temperature seems to be gradually climbing with each passing moment.

This is evident by the tiny beads of sweat that are now gathering at the nape of my neck.

Despite the sultry weather, it does absolutely nothing to damper my mood. My pulse quickens at the excitement that ebbs through my veins. I am now in Texas, hours and hours away from home. Soon I'll be surrounded by wide-open spaces and endless horizons when I venture into the countryside.

The sound of laughter pulls me a bit out of my daze. Several groups of people are scattered around talking animatedly amongst themselves or emabracing a love one.

With my suitcase in hand, I make the short trip around to the designated car rental shuttle area. Luckily I was in time to board the last bus that was leaving out. A cheerful looking driver welcomes me aboard and tells me to take a seat. The cool air immediately latches to my damp skin, providing a much-needed relief from the scorching heat. Shortly after everyone is settled the driver announces that the trip is only a 10 minute drive away from the airport before pulling out of its premises.

Through my tinted window, I can see bits and pieces of a vast landscape beyond the airport boundaries.

After a short and comfortable ride, the shuttle rolls to a stop in the parking lot of the car rental facility. Hauling my suitcase behind me, I step out off the cool bus and back into the scorching heat. A cheerful sign that hangs above the entrance door reads, Welcome to Texas! Your adventure starts here. The warm sentiment brings a smile to my face.

Inside buzz with a few tourists who flock to the large rustic styles counters, each of which is manned by friendly looking attendants. Various potted cacti and vibrant blooming flowers adds splashes of colour to the rustic wooden accents.

It's gives off a homey feeling.

"Howdy, ma'am! Welcome to Texas. The name is Jake, what can I do for ya today?" A friendly middle age man smiles and extend a hand in greeting, when I approach his counter.

His drawl drips effortlessly with Southern charm. I really am in the right place. Returing his smile, I shake his hand firmly. "Thank you Jake. I'm Amelia. I booked a rental car a few days ago..."

Jake fingers glide over the keyboard as he stares intently at his computer screen. "Ah, yes, Amelia. I see a reservation here. May I see your ID to verify?"

I reach into my bag and hand him my driver's license. The man briefly examines it, making sure the details match the reservation.

"Everything checks out." He says with a nod a while after, returning my ID. "Please follow me. We have a comfortable SUV waiting for ya."

Jake walks outside with me in tow. After giving me a brief rundown of the car's features, he hands me a set of shiny car keys with a leather keychain bearing the rental company's logo. I thank him and take it, more excited than ever. I'm super eager to hit the open road now, the week-long preparation of this adventure is well on the way.

With all the formalities out of the way, I settle behind the wheels of the rented SUV.

"Texans are known for their warm hospitality, so don't hesitate to ask for directions or recommendations if ya need them," He points out to local map on the dashboard.

After wishing me luck and saying a formal goodbye, I drive off the lot and onto the road. I had set GPS for a quaint little town in the midst of nowhere but it is relatively safe, at least from what I gathered from Google search.