one

MYLES:

"Shit! Shit, shit, shit!" I groaned to myself as I ran down the street.

Yes, running down the street was the way I was getting to work today. And I was not that athletic. I tried to work out when I could but the rare days off I had from my job were often spent sleeping or drinking. Neither necessarily more important than the other.

And running down the street was not the way this was meant to go, but it was the way it was going.

I had stupidly slept through my alarm and hadn't had time to sit in traffic for twenty minutes, which is how long the cab driver estimated it would take us to get through. So, I threw some cash at him, hauled myself out of the car, and began to jog through the streets of Seattle to get to my job. My new job. As in, today was my very first day and I was running late.

As I ran, my phone rang and I rolled my eyes at my uncle's name on the screen.

"Where the hell are you?" He grilled as soon as I answered, very out of breath might I add.

"I'm almost there, I overslept"

"Are you running?" I heard the amusement in his voice.

"Shut up" I said, hanging up the phone.

Soon the glorious Seattle Grace hospital came into view. Well, it was Seattle Grace Mercy West now with the merge that had taken place about six months back. I knew a lot of people from both hospitals had been spared, but there were also a lot who hadn't survived the merger and I knew I was lucky to get into this job.

It's sad, the reason. I was really only here because a few residency spots opened up. I had just started my third year of surgical residency, moving from New York upon the proposition of a job by my uncle, who was a surgeon there. And there had just been a shooting at the hospital, killing eleven people and causing a lot of people to leave. Understandably, it was terrifying to hear about it and I had spent many hours calling my uncle until he finally called me back to tell me he was safe and alive.

And now I was in Seattle and running late on my first day of all things. I'm sure the repercussions would be less if I was an attending, but I wasn't. I was in the middle of my residency and I knew my relationship with my uncle wasn't going to be enough to get me out of this. Hopefully I'd just be punished with scut or something for a few days and mocked for a few weeks. Then someone else could make a fool of themselves and I'd be forgotten.

As soon as I was through the main doors of the hospital, I realised I had no idea where to go. I sucked up my embarrassment and made my way to the main reception desk.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Wilkie and I'm starting here today. I'm not completely sure where to go. I'm a surgical resident." I admitted, hoping my blush wasn't too insane. The lady sitting behind it looked up and flashed me a reassuring smile.

"You're gonna want to head up to the fourth floor and take a right straight out of the elevator. It's in that wing" I nodded my thanks.

"Thank you"

"Good luck"

I followed the directions and managed to find the locker room. There was one locker without anything in it except a folded pair of blue scrubs and a white coat. My guess is that was my one. I looked at the white jacket and saw the embroidered Samaira Wilkie M.D. and smiled. This was legit and it looked amazing. While I was changing, my phone rang and I saw my uncle's name pop up again. I hit answer.

"You'd better be in the damn building, Myles"

"I'm in the locker room, changing into my scrubs."

"Good. Well, not good. You're about to miss the meeting with Bailey. And she will not appreciate that"