Recovery.

The next couple of days, Natasha and Karolina hid out. They went to meet up with some of the best scientists to check up on Karolina once they knew it was safe.

"Agent Romanoff." The Doctor said as he saw her walk in. He soon saw the other infamous soldier. "I don't believe we've met. You must be Karolina."

He shook her hand as she nodded. "If you'll follow me."

The two women followed shortly as Karolina looked over at the guards by the door. "SHIELD." Natasha answered the question that was in Karolina's head. "They don't ask many questions anymore, they have helped Fury and me after most missions." Karolina nodded and looked back at the doctor. "We're just gonna do a small check up and see what's in your head. We'll go from there." Karolina nodded and gave Natasha a look before she followed only into the room she would have the procedure in.

Natasha took a seat in one of the main rooms and her head went back to the conversation she had with Fury a few days ago.

"Don't trust her. We have no idea what she's done in the past hundred years."

"She was brainwashed."

"Doesn't change the fact that she's the world's deadliest killer." He looked into her eyes, "Keep an eye on her, she can be her biggest enemy and until we have more information you can't be too careful. Understand?"

"I understand."

The next couple of hours, they put Karolina into surgery. It ran smoothly, until it didn't.

The EKG machine beeped loudly as her heart started to flatline. The doctor walked in as Natasha stood up from her chair before getting stopped by some of the doctors at the door.

"What happened?"

"There's something in her head. If we try to remove it, she'll die. It's the only thing blocking her from the rest of her memories and complete free will. There's no- "

The doctor was looking at some screens and zoomed in on the X-ray of her brain before seeing Karolina jolt up. "Woah! Hey."

He rushed over as she grabbed his shoulder and got up. She was still dizzy before grabbing a pen from his pocket and a piece of paper that was on the table along with all the tools. She shook off what she could of the drugs as she wrote some codes on the paper. The drugs soon took over again as she passed out.

She stayed unconscious for the next week. Natasha stayed by her side.

Karolina slowly woke up as her eyes adjusted to the brightness, "Hey." Natasha's low raspy voice was the first thing she heard. "Hi." She croaked out as she took in a deep breath slowly, feeling her body heavier than normal.

Karolina slowly sat up as Natasha shook her head, "Probably not the best idea, you have bruises on most all of your body." Karolina gave her a soft smile, "When have I not is the question." The doctor soon walked in saving Karolina from a talk from Natasha.

He held a tablet in hand, "Hello." He greeted them before tapping on the screen and pointed it outwards to where it appeared in hologram form. "We got some of your files and everything we needed. Born 1917, right?" Karolina gave him a small nod as he continued.

"You are 97, yet mentally due to that blocker, which thank you for the codes. Are 25, but with some years that you weren't in cyro, somehow time passed not detected by that blocker... back in 2004-2008. Ultimately making you 29." He looked over at her with a curious gaze. Karolina looked into his eyes and gave him a small nod as a go ahead. "How did you manage to wake up and have the exact codes to deprogram the blocker?"

"Who do you think designed it?" Both he and Natasha both looked at her confused as she followed up, "They made me design my own personal hell. A blocker. A serum circulated in my veins at all times, where I was oblivious to time passing, my mind controlled to follow only their commands. Lucky for me, I designed a fail-safe when they weren't looking. One word. If said it temporarily stops the flow of the serum they had to control me. The codes were part of the failsafe to stop the bomb from going off in my head. It gets activated when I start to wake up. I'm guessing once you drowned out that mind controlling serum from my veins it triggered the blocker that was going to blow my head off my body."

The doctor nodded as Natasha pulled the pieces together, "That's why Pierce said you were going to die soon." Karolina nodded, "Never did have the best technology back then."

"Thank you." She turned to the doctor before he waved his hand, "No need." He soon walked out leaving the two women in a silence, not exactly uncomfortable yet not completely comfortable.

Karolina clenched her fist stretching out her hand as she looked at the bruises that were all mostly faded due to her rapid healing. "So, what now?"

"Well... until we figure out a way to go outside without people trying to kill us, we wait it out and hide for a little while." Natasha answered, looking at Karolina.

Karolina looked to the side and locked eyes with her, "We?"

"Can't have a senior pedestrian walking those dangerous sidewalks alone." She smirked as she watched Karolina roll her eyes with a huff.

The silence returned for a moment before Karolina looked over and took in the sight of the redhead. Natasha looked up to lock eyes with the brunette.

"Why exactly are you here?"

Natasha looked back down and grabbed her jacket that was folded over the arm of the chair. "I offered."

A soft smile covered Karolina's face.

Natasha saw the change when she looked back up and didn't hear a response. "What?"

"Fury asked you to keep an eye on me." Before Natasha could say another word Karolina shook her head, "I can always tell when you are lying Natalia."

Natasha looked into her eyes for another moment, "We should get out of here. We need to find a place to hide out." Karolina nodded and watched how Natasha got more guarded. After all these years she kept her protection up and who could blame her?

And so, they hid out.

They stayed hidden in old SHIELD warehouses for a couple of months before heading over to a place Natasha knew was a safe haven.

A/N: Next chapter will be longer and filled with details. See you there! Have a great day. Much love.