Birthday present (part 2)

Ponyboy's P.O.V.

I couldn't believe I had forgotten Neva's birthday. It finally bugged me so much I pulled Johnny aside. "What's up Ponyboy." He asked. "I'm in deep mud." I said. "What did you do this time?" He asked. "I forgot Neva's birthday. I didn't get her anything and she's my girlfriend." I whispered. Johnny's eyes widened as I explained more. "This isn't my category Pony. Maybe try Dally." Johnny suggested. I nodded and walked over to Dally. "Hey Dal. Can I talk to you for a minute?" I asked. He nodded and we walked to the kitchen. "What's wrong?" He asked. "I forgot Neva's birthday. I didn't get her a present." I said. Dally smiled his famous smile. I began to get nervous. Maybe Dally wasn't the person to go to in this situation. "I got an idea." He said. Then again, I was desperate to make it up to Neva. "What do you have in mind?" I asked.

"Bye. See you all later!" Neva called as everyone walked out the door. Well except for Darry and Soda. I walked into the kitchen and pulled myself together to play my part. "Hey Darry!" I called. "Yeah?" He asked. "Come here for a second. Bring Soda too." I said. They walked into the kitchen. "Um. I was wondering if maybe you could get those crackers that come in a box with ten packs in them?" I said. "Oh I remember those. They were the best things I'd ever tasted!" Soda said. I smiled knowing he loved those. "I thought you didn't like those Pony?" Darry asked. "I want to give another try." I lied. He sighed and looked around. "I guess, but that's gonna take awhile. You know they only sell those in-" Darry started. "I know. The next state over." I said. "Please Darry. We never get anything like that. Please." Soda begged. "Fine. You stay with Neva. Soda. You come with me." Darry said. I watched anxiously as they walked out the door, leaving Neva and I alone.