12. H2O, just add water

⋆ 12

⋆ 12 ⋆

"It's simply not possible

"It's simply not possible."

Naturally, when Jisung is certain he's made a groundbreaking discovery, he decides he needs to share his discovery with the second-best mer-expert he knows: Chan.

It's a foggy afternoon according to Arcana Isle's weather forecast, with the occasional disruption of light rain.

Chan sits alongside Jisung on the morning bus, headed off to meet with third-and-fourth best mer-experts who moved to Southern Arcana with its bustling shopping districts and tourist attractions.

"What do you mean, it's not possible?" Jisung asks in a whisper, sucking his lower lip in between his teeth. "It would make a shit-ton of sense, like why he can't swim but knows so much shit about merpeople. Why he was coughing fucking blood right after we poisoned the mer, and—"

"There's a huge hole in your theory," Chan whispers back. "Minho's a human, with two working legs! It's just not physically possible."

"We live in Arcana, anything is possible," Jisung counters, gripping the bus pole extra hard to stabilize himself when they run over a pothole. "Minho's suspicious, I'm telling you, he's suspicious."

"And you're being ridiculous," Chan flicks Jisung's forehead, watching as the area reddens and the boy groans in pain. "There's no way a merperson can also be a human. Their anatomy is too different. It's just not possible."

Jisung glares at Chan, but he can't bring himself to uphold their debate. Logically, Chan is right—Minho being a merperson and an actual person doesn't add up. According to Chan's opposing theory, even if Minho has some strange connection with the merpeople, it's probably just a coincidence.

Perhaps his author friend 'Lee Know' is a merperson, and that's where Minho gets his knowledge. Jisung doesn't know.

He does know that Chan is more well-versed in mer-lore than he'll ever be. So, Jisung ought to listen to his word, even if the daunting truth is disappointing.