Chapter Two: Meet the Family

The next day rolled around quicker than Buck expected. Him and Eddie had spent the rest of the night revelling in the glow of parenthood, watching their babies sleep, marvelling at the little noises they made when they drank their bottles. Buck had even changed his first diaper, taking such care that Eddie scolded him for taking too long, claiming that the baby would get too cold if she didn't get re-dressed quick. Before they knew it the sun was streaming in through the windows and they were up and ready for the day, waiting for Christopher to arrive home.

Buck was laying on the couch with Emilia asleep on his chest when he heard a knock at the door.

"I've got it!" Eddie called, jogging out from the room he'd been in and running to get the door. He wrenched the door open and knelt with his arms out wide to embrace his eldest child.

"Buddy, I've missed you!" Eddie exclaimed, wrapping Christopher up into a big hug.

Christopher giggled as his dad squeezed him tight and pushed him away. "I wanna see the babies Dad, can I hold them?" he said, thrusting his crutches into his father's hands and walking towards Buck.

"Sure thing bud" Buck said, "Just come sit up here with me".

Buck swivelled himself around, so he was sitting up and brough Emilia down off his chest, cradling her head with his right hand and resting her body on his left. Christopher hopped up on the couch and let Eddie position him, so he had a cushion under each arm.

"Now remember, you gotta support her head with your arm, and don't let her neck tilt back too far" Eddie fussed.

"It's fine Dad, I've got it" said Christopher, holding out his arms and watching intently as Buck lowered his baby sister into them. Christopher held his breath as Emilia squirmed a bit, scrunching her face up and rubbing her hands over her eyes, before settling down into her big brother's arms, smacking her lips a little.

Christopher stared down at his baby sister in wonder. He hardly dared move, in case he disturbed her, but his eyes drank in all that he saw. Her hair was blonde with slight curls in it. Her little nose was small and button-like and her lips were pink and perfectly shaped. Secretly, Christopher thought she looked just like Buck.

"She's so tiny" he breathed, looking up at his dad. Eddie smiled, his heard brimming with pride as he watched his eldest child meet his youngest.

"Yeah, she is" he replied, his voice husky. He cleared his throat and continued, placing a hand on Christopher's shoulder. "She's yours to protect now Christopher, you gotta make sure you keep a good eye on her". Eddie felt a tear coming to his eye, so he made his excuses to leave the room, stating he was going to get Romeo. Buck caught his eye on the way out, shooting his husband a knowing look. He knew that Eddie tried to act tough, but that he was just a big softie deep down.

Eddie returned with Romeo resting on his shoulder. He waited a moment for Buck to retrieve Emilia from Christopher, before placing the second twin into Christopher's waiting embrace. Christopher was a little startled at first, as Romeo was awake and wriggling about, but he soon relaxed, trusting that he wasn't about to drop his baby brother.

"His hair is so much darker than Emilia's" Christopher noted, attempting to move his arm to touch Romeo's head, but changing his mind when he felt the baby slip. Eddie ruffled Christopher's hair.

"Just like yours, bud" he said, marvelling at how big Christopher seemed all of a sudden. It didn't seem too long ago that Eddie had been at the hospital with Shannon, meeting his little boy for the first time. And now here he was, almost 12 years old, meeting his baby siblings for the first time. Eddie felt a lump rise in his throat again and moved to sit between Buck and Christopher. He put his arm around Christopher's shoulders and stroked Romeo's head with his free hand. He felt Buck's hand on his shoulder and looked back into his husband's blue eyes. They shared a silent moment, appreciating how perfect life was right now.