The Box.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going with this, but, have some alternate universe daycare attendant angst.

Also he/they Sundrop and they/them Moondrop supremacy

Nobody was sure where the box came from.

Nobody knew what was inside the box.

Everybody knew not to touch it.

Sundrop carried the large box around everywhere they went. It was bigger than them, and it was awkward to maneuver around the abandoned building while carrying it, but they were determined to never leave the box unattended. When Sundrop sat down, the box ended up in their lap. When Sundrop needed to charge, the box was still within arm's reach.

"We'll make it. Someone will come back for us, we just have to wait a little longer," Sundrop said to the box, a smile on his mechanical lips. He had to believe that someone would come and fix the pizzaplex. He had to believe that he wouldn't be left here. Every day the building was breaking down more. "Everything is going to be fine."

"Sun? Who are you talking to?" The sound of Glamrock Freddy's voice caught Sundrop's attention, and the daycare attendant turned their head to look at the fellow animatronic. Neither of them were in the best condition; they were both dusty and dirty, covered in scratches. One of Sundrop's sun rays was missing... But they weren't bothered by it. They were used to the damage now. It didn't matter anyway, there were no children, so appearances didn't matter.

"Moonie, of course~!" Sundrop spun around, the bells on his wrists jingling with the movement. "Have the people come yet to fix this place?"

"Oh, right, of course." Freddy felt his metaphorical heart drop when he heard the question. It wasn't unusual that Sundrop was talking to Moondrop, they were practically one in the same after all, but Freddy worried for Sundrop. They still believed that someone would come rescue them all, and while that was endearing for them to still be so hopeful, Freddy knew that when the hope finally died, it would be something Sundrop might not recover from."No, not yet."

"There's probably just some issues going on in the company, it might take a bit, but I'm sure they have a plan to recover us!" Sundrop chimed, unphased by the news. "After all, they put a lot of work into making us. They wouldn't want that to go to waste."

"I see. Say, how's Moon doing? I haven't seen them out in a bit," Freddy asked, deciding it was probably best to change the subject, for both their sakes. It was refreshing, if nothing else, to see someone was still in relatively high spirits. Of course, it made sense that it was Sundrop of all people, he was intended for the youngest audience and had the upbeat energy to match. "Hopefully they're just as patient as you are."

"Moon? They've just been resting for a little while. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that they're trying to hibernate until the company comes to get us," Sundrop joked, shifting the box in their arms to the side so that they could see Freddy more easily without having to put it down. "In all reality, they're probably just a little confused by our schedule getting messed up."

"Well, it's good to hear that they're not hurt or anything. Would it be possible for me to see them? I'm checking in on everybody, and it would be preferable if I could talk to them in person," Freddy explained, trying to make it seem like he wasn't too concerned... but he hadn't seen Moondrop in more than half the time that the building was closed. He worried for their wellbeing.

"Of course! They're right here." Sundrop set down the box and sat down in front of it, before knocking on the cardboard. Freddy just watched the exchange, more than mildly confused. Sundrop had been carrying Moondrop around all this time? How had he not known? "... I don't think they want to come out right now. We can try again later."

"Do you mind if we open the box, Sun?" Freddy asked, trying to be gentle. He didn't want to give him any reason to worry, after all, they had enough problems as it was.

"I don't, but I think Moon does," Sundrop replied, picking the box up again with ease, pulling it slightly away from Freddy. "So, let's not. Moon can come out whenever they feel like it."

"Look, Sundrop, I'm going to be honest here... I'm worried. I haven't heard from Moon in weeks, and I trust you, but I want to make sure Moon's okay. They've been in that box and they never said anything-"

"Moonie says stuff all the time. We talk all the time, we were talking just before you entered, remember?" Sundrop insisted, taking a step back and pulling the box protectively closer to their body. Their voice had taken on a tone that was almost aggressive, which only made Freddy more worried. Sundrop thought he was being rude; Freddy shouldn't disturb Moonie while they're resting!

"I heard you, but I didn't hear them. Just... open the box for a second, and I'll know what I need to know. I know that they don't want to talk right now, but, please, for my peace of mind?" Freddy pleaded. It wasn't normal for Sundrop to act like this, but in all fairness, none of what was happening was normal.

"No!" Sundrop's rays went inward, taking another step back, only to back up into a tower of cylinder toys. It wasn't long before he was on the floor, in the middle of a mess, the box dropped to the floor with hardly a sound made. As the flaps opened, one thing was clear.

The box was empty.