14. The Abduction

Meredith absentmindedly traced circles on Nyx's arm while gazing at the light blue skies. They lay in the soft grass of Nyx's garden, while Meredith rested her head on Nyx's taut belly. The garden was almost as large as a small forest, with a blend of colorful plants, many of which Meredith had never heard of before. Nyx herself had grown this garden when she bought the house twelve years ago.

"Can you fly?" Meredith asked, suddenly curious about what else she didn't know about her girlfriend.

"Not yet. But I can shapeshift."

Meredith gaped, turning herself to look at Nyx. "You can shapeshift?"

Nyx nodded. "I don't use that skill much though. I like the way I look."

"I like the way you look too." The words just came out without a thought.

Nyx grinned. "I know. I'm gorgeous."

Meredith rolled her eyes but smiled. "Yeah. And so humble too."

They both laughed heartily until they settled into a comfortable silence.

Meredith suddenly thought of something and she eased herself so close to Nyx that the demon's warm breath caressed her face. "You said you can't fly yet. Does it mean you will in the future?"

"Honestly, I don't know," said Nyx. "Digrons evolve every fifty years. For every evolution, I'll either gain a new demonic skill or advance a skill I already have. Maybe the ability to fly will be one of these new skills. Maybe not."

"I see." If Nyx was forty-eight, then her first evolution would occur in two years. What kind of demonic skill would her girlfriend awaken?

Nyx had already explained to her that demonic skills were either unique or generic. Generic demonic skills were found in all demons, depending on their hierarchy or species. While all demons could conceal their nature regardless of hierarchy or species, only royal demons and some greater demons could teleport. Both concealment and teleportation were generic skills.

A unique demonic skill, however, was unique to an individual demon and had nothing to do with their hierarchy or species. Almost every demon had at least one unique skill. Nyx had a unique skill too, and she called hers Ultimate Control.

"The simplest way to describe it," Nyx had said, "is that I can use it to control anyone. But it's not that simple either. It's kind of hard to explain."

Well, Meredith wasn't surprised about that. Almost everything she'd been learning about demons ever since she met Nyx was nothing she had imagined. The more she learned, the more she realized how wrong they were about everything.

"I may not be able to fly," said Nyx, running her fingers through Meredith's hair, "but I can still take you wherever you want. Is there anywhere you want to go right now? The Eiffel Tower? The Pyramids of Egypt? The Great Wall of China?" Nyx paused, a twinkle in her eyes. "Walmart?"

Meredith snickered, shaking her head.

"So, where do you want to go, my love? I'll take you there this instant."

Meredith bit her lower lip, lost in thought. She'd never been to any of these places. Well, she'd been to China to visit her grandparents when she was thirteen. But she'd never been to the Great Wall. If she was visiting the place for the first time, then she would love to do it with Nyx.

There was just one problem though.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Nyx asked. "If you don't like any of these places, I can just take you somewhere else. Wherever you want."

Meredith couldn't help but smile. Her demon was so in tune with her emotions. "It's not that, Nyx. I just..." She shuddered upon recalling the discomfort she felt after Ezerix teleported her. "Teleportation feels... I don't know. It feels weird on my body. I don't like it."