՜՞՜17՜՞՜

I only lied down to sleep when it was 3 a.m.. I was tired enough to momentarily dive into slumber, completely forgetting that I had to set an alarm for tomorrow morning.

I was supposed to be awake at six, which meant I had only three hours to sleep. Yet it felt like I was getting a suspicious amount of rest. And even if I tried, I couldn't get myself to wake up without an external stimulus.

That's why I only opened my eyes when someone banged on my door so loud that I thought there was an earthquake.

Quickly standing up to see what was going on, my vision blackened, and I fell right back down. However, from the second attempt I managed to get myself out of my room and rushed towards the source of the sound -  the door.

And I should stop opening the door without checking who's behind it cause before I could even think, I found myself standing in front of George looking like a hybridized goblin.

"You're still asleep!? You're late, you idiot!"

And that was the exact moment when I truly woke up. All the actions performed before this were me - sleeping.

I opened my eyes wide and blinked repeatedly, realizing that I was barely dressed, my hair was in a disgusting bun I created while half-asleep, and my face probably looked like shit. That was my main concern at first, but then his words hit me, and in a panic, I quickly shut the door and ran to get ready

It was 8:20.

I clearly had no time to shower or do anything besides brushing my teeth and getting dressed. I was scared to take a look at myself in the mirror because I could already tell that I was about to get jumpscared. I didn't have time for coffee or breakfast, so I put two pieces of gum into my mouth and hoped the sugar in them would be enough to get me through this.

At last, I grabbed everything and hurried out of the door, only to realize I had left my car keys behind. I quickly ran back inside to get them. By the time I was finally ready to leave and gathered some momentum to walk as fast as I could, I felt someone pull my arm.

I almost fell, but it was George, so it's okay.

"Everything alright? Good luck!" He was laughing and I wasn't entirely sure what he found so funny. Perhaps it was the sight of me sprinting out of the building looking like I survived a bear attack or the thought of me oversleeping and failing my exam because of that.

"I'm literally already late, talk to you later, bye!" And it's even funnier that I was out of breath just from getting ready and taking a few steps.

George nodded, still laughing as he waved me goodbye.

Luckily, the worst was over.

The exam itself wasn't even close to being as stressful as the morning before it. Yet walking out of the exam hall looking like shit was a pretty traumatizing and humbling experience.

But nothing stopped me. I finally went out with my friend and we got the coffee and ice cream we'd been planning to get for weeks now.

And I might've told her everything about George - including his last name cause she asked for it to see if it sounds good next to my name.

Life was good at that moment. I had finished my exams, and summer break had finally started for me. To top it off, I got to enjoy my favorite ice cream with my favorite person. However, what wasn't so good was the fact that I was in such a hurry in the morning that I couldn't apply sunscreen. Now, my face and arms were all itchy and probably burnt.

And I couldn't really feel it while I was under the sun. It became noticeable when I was driving back home.

But there was one thing I wanted to do before entering my house. And that's thanking George. It's crazy to think how I wouldn't be on summer break now if George hadn't been kind enough to wake me up today. What were the odds of him remembering and caring enough to do it?

Remembering that he was going to be home alone today, I knocked on his door and waited for him to open it. I didn't have to wait long. Eventually, the door opened, and he immediately asked.

"Did you pass?"

"Passed? I got 95!" With my words, I heard him chuckle in disbelief, his grin growing wider with each passing moment, "but I wouldn't if you didn't wake me up- oh my god, you actually saved me, George. Thank you so much."

"I was literally on the balcony from around 7 a.m. to wish you good luck and you were nowhere," his hands moved expressively, and it took a lot of concentration not to stare at them. "Your car was still there, so I knew you hadn't left earlier, so I thought I'd come knock just in case."

I couldn't believe I got that lucky. Missing the exam would've been disastrous.

"Did you wake up at 7 just to wish me good luck?" I raised an eyebrow, a mischievous glint evident in my eyes. I can't lie; I got a little cocky.

"You wish," he shook his head, rolling his eyes at my smirk, "I didn't even wake up, let alone for you."

"What? You haven't slept?" I noticed the bags under his eyes only after my words.

"Why are we standing here? Come in," he completely ignored my question.

"You go in, I have so much stuff to do," I wasn't lying, but I was exaggerating.

Leaning against the doorframe with crossed arms, he gazed at me, "Like what?"

"Like organizing my notes and textbooks and putting them away from my sight. I have papers sprawled all over my house."

George offered a brief, affirmative hum, "That's tough... those papers must be so heavy. Don't you need a helping hand?"

Every time he tries to be sarcastic, I play dumb to not give him the satisfaction.

"I do need a helping hand.. maybe even two helping hands," I dramatically sighed, "too bad your hands aren't helping."

George uncrossed his arms before leaning closer to me - the scent of his cologne adding to the intrigue. The two opposing wishes, one to take a step back to escape the tension and the other to take a step forward towards his appealing smell, canceled each other out, and I stood still in my spot.

"If I come over with food, won't that be helpful of me?" It was almost like he was making an offer.

"Depends what food," I narrowed my eyes, seeing the corners of his mouth tug slightly with a subtle smirk.

"I was thinking sushi," he knew exactly that it was one of my favorite foods and probably the only thing we both liked.

I let out a soft "hmm" sound, trying to pass off my silence as genuine thoughtfulness, but my smile exposed my act.

"I want some lemonade with it," he easily bought me with food, but it's okay because I actually wanted to spend time with him.

"I'll get you lemonade," he chuckled softly, "anything else you want?"

"Yeah, don't forget the helping hand," I slowly backed away into my own apartment.

"Won't forget the helping hands - both of them," he nodded, "anything more?"

"Yeah, don't knock unless you have the food," my face beamed with a wide smile.

Despite trying to hide his smile, George let out a hearty laugh, shaking his head in defeat as I disappeared behind the door.