My Heart Just Ain't Gonna Buy It

Start from the beginning

"Romani knows you can do this." Link yelped and turned around to see Romani, leaning on the pole that supported the archway above them. How long had she been there?

"Romani! I- uh!" Link was taken aback. He wasn't prepared to see her so soon. He planned on doing another pep-talk when he got to the front door, but before he would knock.

Romani couldn't help but giggle at how nervous the boy in green was. Her smile didn't last long when she thought about how she would continue what she wanted to say.

"Romani's only worried about how she'll do this..." The ranch woman said, taking a step forward.

"Wh-What do you mean?" Link asked, not sure whether he should back up to give Romani space or just stay put.

"Romani means... maybe she overreacted."

"W-Well, I don't see how else you would have reacted..." Link tried not to sound snarky.

"Just, Romani's willing to put it behind us. You were tired... and you got confused." Romani was still uncomfortable about the scene she saw. She thought about it often.

"I did. I was a fool, and I should have not just thought you were right there." Link hated how he felt about the kiss. He didn't even notice a difference until he saw Romani standing in the doorway. "It was my fault."

"It was, but Romani's going to forgive you. This time." Romani put one finger up and gave Link a stern look. He knew if he messed up again, that'd be it.

"Understood." Link said, unwavering obedience behind his voice. He didn't want to lose the people he grew to love, especially Romani.

Link extended his hand to take Romani's, but she didn't do the same. No words had to be exchanged for him to understand why. They weren't quite back there yet. The teen lowered his hand and kept it at his side. However, there was still something that had to be resolved.

"What about Cremia?" Link looked in the distance, towards the ranch house.

"Sister... Romani's not very sure..." Romani thought back to what happened at the Inn. The insurmountable rage behind Cremia's eyes was another thing entirely.

"I mean, we need to fix this... w-with her." Link looked at the dirt path leading to the house. He wanted to march up to it and talk to the ranch owner then and there.

The pair seemed to share thoughts for a moment. Both wanted the same thing, but they had no clue how to act. How to properly mend things. Link and Romani locked eyes, and it felt like they were twelve all over again. Two friends trying to overcome such staggering odds, even if the current situation was nowhere near as intense as the one they faced in the canyon.

"Have any ideas?" Romani asked.

"No. Not good ones, at least." Link admitted. He hated how brash and forward all the concepts in his head were coming out to be.

"An idea is better than no idea." Romani said, noticing that the sky was starting to change into a bluer color than orange. Cremia would be getting up soon.

"Then I say that we just go and talk to her..." Link scratched his neck, and one look at Romani told him that it was a bad idea. But it was the only idea they had.

"Sister doesn't get up for an hour. What should we do?" Romani didn't turn to face Link, and he didn't either. They just stood side by side, nervous.

Link decided to do something simple. He didn't say a word, and just walked out to the barn. Romani considered following, but a part of her told her not to. She waited for the boy in green to return for what felt like an hour, but it was merely five minutes.