You were going to give this your all, just like Amity did, otherwise you weren't going to get any better.

"Yes, sir."
You replied,

He seemed taken aback by your response, almost like he hadn't been treated with that kind of respect before.

"I- well, alright then! This is new."
He straightened his back, filling himself with more confidence.

"What sort of training did you do with Darius last week?"
He asked,

It made you a bit nervous, having to say what you were actually doing,
"Darius is teaching me how to improvise movements in battle at the moment, so I can relax into it more.."

"Oh, well, that seems simple enough-"

"By teaching me to dance."
You murmured out the last bit of that sentence, and waited for a response.

"Oh, well.. That seems like quite a Darius approach to things. Is there.. anything else that you need practice with, fledgeling?"
He started moving his hands around more, maybe as a way to keep conversation?

You sighed, and chuckled,
"I told you to stop calling me fledgling,"

"Oh, you know that's not happening."

You smiled, hoping he was reciprocating, but continued the conversation.

"Do you.. know any cool spells?"
You tilted your head slightly in curiosity, then walked to the centre of the room to give yourself a lot of space.

"I mean, what counts as cool? I have a very different type of magic compared to most other witches."
He stood next to you, his staff in his left hand.

"I can, throw myself forward to speed myself up, that's mostly what I use aside from other coven magic."

"Like this,"
He held his staff out in-front of him, then pulled it back, before he quickly flew to the other side of the room.

It seemed simple enough, almost like he was grabbing a rope that didn't exist.

If you could learn this, surely you'd have his respect, and it could definitely help you get out of some worse situations during combat.

You've not seen a witch other than him use that kind of magic before either, maybe it's a high level form of magic. If you learnt the magic of the Emperor's right hand man, you were set for a spot in the coven.

Holding your hand out in-front of you, you drew a circle, and attempted to grab it to pull yourself forward.
The circle fizzled and cracked, but your hand ended up falling through, losing its grip on the spell.

You stood confused for a second, but the spell felt weird. Like you almost had it.
You looked up at the guard, who was stood in his own silence.

"Did I do ok?"
Your head filling with anxiety, your first failure in front of the Golden Guard.

"I- I've never seen anybody really attempt to do that spell before."
He spoke, finally.

"Why? I can imagine it's possible."
You replied,

"I doubt it. My staff uses artificial magic, completely different to the wild kind everyone else has control over. I don't know if it's possible. At least, everyone else assumes that, so I've never seen anyone try."
He spun the body of his staff around in his hand as he spoke.

You attempted the spell again, drawing a larger circle this time in hopes of that making it easier. Grabbing the centre of it, you felt less than you did before.