Chapter 50: Copying Punishment

Entering December, the year-end was approaching, and every household was busy. When it snowed in the past few days, the sky and the earth became white, and the taste of the year became even heavier.

In the Buddhist hall, a maid hurried in from the outside with a red box in her hand. As soon as she walked in, she stomped her feet while shaking off the snow on her hood, and shouted inside: "Shizi Consort, this slave is bringing you hot soup."

Gao Ran was sitting next to the low table in the side room while holding a hand stove, her body was covered with a thick squirrel fur cloak. Even so, the maid besides her still kept stirring the silver coal in the charcoal brazier for fear that Gao Ran would be cold.

The Buddhist hall was clean, and there was sandalwood Buddha incense floating around all year round. In summer, it was quite shady and cool, but in winter it became cooler and cooler till the cold could seeps into the human bones. Gao Ran was punished by Lin Wei Xi to copy the Book of Filial Piety in the Buddhist hall. Gao Ran thought that she would finish copying in two or three days, but after a while she came to realize that things were not so optimistic.

Fortunately, although Lin Wei Xi sent someone to watch Gao Ran copy the book, she did not stop the people below from sending things to Gao Ran. Gao Ran hated how gloomy and cold in here, especially afraid that staying for a long time would affect her fertility, so she let people moved several charcoal braziers, as well as cushions, seats, pillows, etc.. Almost converted the quite and dignified side room of the Buddhist hall into her private warm pavilion.

As soon as Ning Fu went out, she went back to Qingsong Garden to fetch hot tea and freshly baked cakes. Gao Ran was wrapped in thick warm clothing, and when she held the writing brush, she was a little bloated. When Ningfu put the refreshments and other things on the table one by one, Gao Ran shook her hand and wrote a wrong word. The almost finish page was wasted again.

An unknown fire suddenly burst in Gao Ran's heart. She threw the brush onto the brush holder. The collision of the brush and the porcelain made a crisp sound, which was very obvious in the silent temple. Ning Fu's movements couldn't help but pause. Tao Mama saw Gao Ran's face was not good, she quickly pushed Ning Fu from behind: "Shizi Consort is copying books, what are you doing with this food, won't it delay Shizi Consort's writing? Get out."

Ning Fu's lips opened. Didn't Shizi Consort say that she was cold and asked her to go back and get some hot food? Ning Fu put the plate back into the food box without saying a word, and bowed back.

Gao Ran was very irritable, it was almost the New Year's Eve. These few days, Yan Wang Mansion was very busy entertaining the guests, but she was trapped in the Buddhist hall by Lin Wei Xi, and could not even see outsiders. Gao Ran sat for a while with a gloomy face, and asked, "Are all the steward going to Jingcheng Courtyard to hand over the matched cards these few days?"

"Yes." Tao Mama said cautiously. "Wangfei specially make the room outside Jingcheng Courtyard into a place to meet people. Usually the steward granny would go there every day at sishi (9-11am) to report to Wangfei and ask for daily arrangements. If there were things that couldn't be decided, they go there again in the afternoon at shensi (3-5pm). Except for these two times, Wangfei will not see anyone unless there is something unexpected or urgent. Wangfei said that if these steward granny always came to ask for every trivial matters, then won't Wangfei need to attend every single work all day. So she put the time together, and everyone will go during this time. If Wangfei has something to say, she can also explain it at once."

Bu Mama was transferred to Qingsong Garden. Although she was still a chief steward in name, anyone with a discerning eye could see that Bu Mama was demoted. It's just that although she couldn't control the mansion, Bu Mama could still stay at Shizi's side and take care of his affairs. She didn't lose much face, and this didn't caused much backlash. The country could not be without a king for a day, and the mansion could not be without a decision-making person. If there was no Bu Mama, then the person in charge would naturally be the Wangfei. As soon as Lin Wei Xi got the helmed, she took a completely different style from Bu Mama. Not only did the rules became clearer, but the time to report the matters was also determined. In a day, except for these two hours, Lin Wei Xi did not allow the steward to come over whenever they pleased. Even if people standing outside her door, as long as the hour passed, Lin Wei Xi said no, then no.