Chapter 40: Promising Marriage

Gao Ran's chest tighten, for a moment she couldn't tell whether Empress Dowager Qian was mocking her or taunting Lin Wei Xi.

It was true that Gao Ran privately agreeing to Qian's family proposal was wrong, but Yan Wang and the second son of the Qian family have a crush on the same woman at the same time. For men, it was romantic to be furious because of a beauty, but for a woman, it was not a good reputation.

Gao Ran's heart jumped the moment her name was called, but soon after she slowly relaxed. She glanced at Lin Wei Xi and lowered her head pretending to be fearful: "Empress Dowager niangniang please forgive me. At that time This Servant heard that old madam Qian want to propose marriage for the second son of Qian's family, Qian second young master is naturally a good man, and This Servant did not think much about it and accepted it, only thought when I return I will talk to the elders. Please don't think that This Servant is too greedy, I only thought that the Qian family is a good family, and wanted to accept as a good sister, but because I was too impatient instead doing something wrong."

Gao Ran's words hinted that she listened to old madam Qian's suggestion at the front, but Yan Wang decided Lin Wei Xi's matter at the back. As for why Yan Wang done this and what happened in between, then ask the protagonist herself.

Gao Ran wanted to induce Empress Dowager to treat Lin Wei Xi as a femme fatale, and it would be even better if she accused Lin Wei Xi as a seductress. Lin Wei Xi's smile faded when she heard Second Qian's name. Empress Dowager Qian was the Empress Dowager, so she could say what's on her mind, but this Gao Ran even dared to play tricks in front of her?

Gao Ran still hasn't learned, it seems that the hot water yesterday was not hot enough. Lin Wei Xi had become the Yan Wangfei, the power the mother-in-law had over the daughter-in-law was far from simple as filial piety.

After Gao Ran finished speaking, she kept staring at Lin Wei Xi. Unfortunately, she was going to be disappointed. Lin Wei Xi did not show any embarrassment or distress expression. She just smiled and unhurriedly said: "What's the matter with Qian second young master? How do I not aware about it?"

Lin Wei Xi's rhetorical question caused everyone to be silent. Empress Dowager Qian could not speak, no matter how badly she want to, she could not say to Yan Wangfei, previously Gao Ran secretly agreed to marry you to someone, but then Yan Wang passed the news, and this matter was over.

Lin Wei Xi was still smiling innocently and naturally, her pupils full of pure curiosity: "What did Shizi Consort say? How did you get involved with Qian second young master? I don't know anything about these things, Empress Dowager niangniang please tell me, I'm really curious."

The Empress Dowager reluctantly smiled, and then asked tentatively: "Yan Wangfei didn't know?"

"What should I know?" Lin Wei Xi smiled and turned her head, her dark pupils clearly reflected Gao Ran's figure, "Shizi Consort, you said what should I know?"

Gao Ran was speechless, her dispute with Lin Wei Xi was in private, besides their maids, who else would know? As long as Lin Wei Xi swore she didn't know anything, Gao Ran had no way to prove otherwise, instead could put herself at a disadvantage.

The Empress Dowager looked at the interaction between the mother-in-law and daughter-in-law, Lin Wei Xi asked frankly, but Shizi Consort looked stiff. Empress Dowager Qian pondered it in her heart and ask: "Yan Wangfei, you didn't know about your marriage's matter before?"

"By parents' orders and matchmaker's words, of course This Servant listens to the Grand Princess." Lin Wei Xi said with a smile, "Matchless fornication and the woman could only become a concubine. If you cross over the parents and elders to act as the matchmaker, you will be cast aside. No matter how naughty, This Servant dare not do such a thing."