Day 2: Chicken Run

The next morning, you woke up with a newfound sense of purpose. The memory of your encounter with the pink slimes and the small triumph of catching one had filled you with excitement for the day ahead. Today, however, you had a different task in mind – it was time to gather chickens.

Chickens were essential for the ranch's survival. They served as a primary food source for some slimes, and keeping a steady supply was crucial to maintaining a healthy slime population. With this in mind, you headed out to the chicken coop, where Beatrix had left a few helpful notes about chicken ranching.

Beatrix: Hey, Kiddo! Chicken ranching is pretty straightforward, but it requires attention and care. Chickens come in different varieties, each suited to different slime diets. Hen Hens are the basic ones, but there are also roostros and chickadoos. Make sure you feed the slimes the right type of chicken to keep them happy and productive!

You nodded as you read the notes. You had to be careful with chickens as some slimes could be aggressive towards them, and leaving them out in the open was not an option.

Y/N: Alright, I need to round up some chickens and keep them safe in the coop. I've seen Rocky before. Let's do this!

You set off with your trusty Vacpack in hand, scanning the area for chickens. There was a nearby chicken corral where you could find a few hens, but you needed to venture further to gather other chicken types, especially roostros, to breed your own chickens inside the coops. As you wandered deeper into the Dry Reef, you spotted a small group of hens pecking at the ground. They were clucking happily, seemingly unaware of the slime-filled world around them.

 They were clucking happily, seemingly unaware of the slime-filled world around them

Y/N: Ok, Hens, come to Y/N

Moving cautiously, you approached the hen hens with slow, delicate steps, trying your best not to startle them before, with a swift motion, you managed to scoop up a couple of hen hens into your Vacpack. They struggled a bit, but you made sure they were safe and comfortable.

Y/N: Ha! Too easy!

You continued your chicken hunt, and soon enough, you found a group of roostros.

Y/N: Alright, roostros, time to join the chicken party, and for once that doesn't involve getting eaten

Approaching the roostros required a bit more finesse. They were more alert and skittish compared to hens. You carefully crouched down, trying to blend in with the surroundings and avoid any sudden movements. With a slow and steady approach, you managed to inch closer to the roostros without alarming them.

Y/N: Easy, does it... Almost there...

Just as you were within arms reach, one of the roostros spotted you and instantly let out a loud crow, startling the rest of the group. They scattered in different directions, flapping their wings in panic.

Y/N: No, wait! Come back!

Realizing you had to move quickly, you swiftly activated your Vacpack and began vacuuming the roostros into its containment unit. The suction pulled them in, and you managed to catch a couple of them before they could escape.

Y/N: Phew, Gotcha Bitch!

Next on your list were the chickadoo. They were smaller, quicker, and often found near their mothers. You had to be patient and swift to catch them without alerting the parent. As you moved cautiously through the tall grass and rocky terrain, you spotted a few chicks scurrying about, pecking at the ground. Their vibrant colors made them stand out against the backdrop of the Dry Reef.

 Their vibrant colors made them stand out against the backdrop of the Dry Reef

Y/N: Alright, little chicks. You're not gonna be as easy as the hens and roostros, are you?

You kept your distance, observing their behavior and trying to anticipate their movements. When one of them wandered away from its mother, you saw an opportunity.

Y/N: Now's my chance!

You quietly approached the wandering chick, trying to move as smoothly as possible. However, as you reached out to grab it, the chick let out a high-pitched chirp, alerting its mother and the other chicks nearby.

Y/N: Dammit!

The mother hen let out a protective cluck, and the chicks huddled together, seeking safety under her wings, and with them came other Hens and even more after that...and even more after that. Until it got to the point that you finally realized...you were completely surrounded, and the Hen Hens did not look very happy with you.

Y/N: Uhh, I'm sorry.

But it was already too late, as before you knew it, dozens upon dozens of Hen Hens were flying at you, their eyes somehow blood red as you ran back home for safety.

Y/N: AAAHHHHH!!!!!

You ended up coming back bruised, heated, and scratched up to hell while covered with feathers. But hey, at least you had chickens in the coup now.