Juhyeok waddled closer and wrapped his arms around his father, snuggling into his neck. Taehyun hugged him back, nuzzling his son closely, closing his eyes as he caught a whiff of his baby powder scent.

"Just remember, be yourself, and not someone else, okay?"

"I will Dad."

Juhyeok kissed his cheek and released himself from the hug. He looked a little more relaxed than earlier, and there was a smile on his face.

"See you."

"Bye Juju."

Taehyun tousled his hair, bowed to the headmistress, and turned around to walk out of the building.

Mrs Lee took Juhyeok by the hand and entered the room with him.

"Petals, may I have your attention please?"

The kids in the room all averted their eyes onto Juhyeok, who gulped when he realized he was in the spotlight.

"This is your new comrade, Kang Juhyeok. What do we say?"

"Hello Juhyeok."

+x+

February 2021

Good evening Mr Kang,
I've been meaning to talk to you about this for a while, but due to planning and organizing upcoming events, it slipped my mind.

As the kindergarten teacher, it's my job to watch and observe what and how my pupils are doing.
It has come to my attention that Juhyeok barely talks or interacts with his peers. He's often in the corner reading a book, doesn't tune into conversations during snack, and I always find him sitting on the bench doing nothing during recess.
Many of us have attempted to get through with why he's acting like this, but we never get a word out of him.

Could you please talk with your son and ask him what's wrong? I am quite concerned for the child.

Best regards,
Jeon Naerin

Juhyeok faced the ground as Taehyun finished reading the email. He felt ashamed and embarrassed, and kept playing with his fingers.

"Dad I'm sorry—"

"There's nothing to be sorry for."

Taehyun crouched down to be on eye level with his son.

"Is everything alright in kindergarten?"

"Yes..."

"Are you telling me the truth?"

Juhyeok nodded honestly.

"I am."

He was not lying.

"Then, what is it?"

"Nothing's wrong but... no one talks to me."

"Have you tried talking to them?"

"No... was I supposed to?"

Taehyun realized what the problem was: Juhyeok was completely clueless about how to make friends, and that sometimes, unfortunately often, you yourself have to make the first move.

But how could he have known, he never was in daycare, and the only people he's ever really been around are me, Kai and Hyung.

"Well... yes. I should've mentioned that to you, my bad."

"Oh... it's okay Dad."

"You sure? I'm really sorry."

"No no Dad, don't fret. I guess I'm just shy..."