Chapter Four | Live, Breathe and Become a Fool

Start from the beginning

          The girl started cackling like mad, agreeing with Preston. Her words were slurred with swear words. I bet she wouldn’t notice if I pulled out a sharpie and doodled on her face or even take a punch at her. Not to mention I had a couple of words to say to her.

          A sound sent birds fluttering off the roof.

          “What’re you guys talking about?” Chrissie asked—no yelled— from the front of her doorway. She strode down her steps and moved in beside me. She was well groomed and smelt of shampoo.

 Her hair was still soaked, and some were leaking onto her shirt. She probably was too worried about the lie that she forgot to blow dry her hair. “Nothing,” I muttered, clamping my hand around hers. “Let’s go.” I sent Drew an ‘I’ll-talk-to-you-later’ look before looking away.

Relief filled me when I found out the door was locked. The better I got Chrissie out of there, the better.  Turning the knob, I let Chrissie in first before I got in, closing the door in behind me.

The walls of her house were filled with portraits of famous artists and brimmed with neon colors.

“Where is everyone?” I asked, moving into the kitchen area where I sat on a stool by the counter.

“My dad’s at work. My mom is in the backyard, trying to clean out the shed and no question where my seven-year old brother is.”

I snorted. School. He was at school. “Thanks for the reality check.” I began to drag my finger along the counter, doodling on it. Please don’t mention them, don’t mention them, I begged Chrissie in my mind.

 “Okay, what’s the deal? I get why you were with Preston, but what about Drew and Katy?” I closed my eyes, and held back the squeal. She asked the question!

 “You know her?” I began tapping on the desk, trying to play it cool.

“Yeah, she’s been living in this neighbourhood for like…forever. Now spill.” Chrissie took a seat on a stool next to me. “Why was Drew and Katy there?”

My guess was he went to Katy’s house in the morning, who’d been drinking since he saw him kissing a girl last night, though I couldn’t tell Chrissie that. For all she knew, Drew and I were an item.

I shrugged. “He might’ve gone there to work on a project or something.”

“She was drunk.”

“I don’t know…maybe she was drinking last night.” I dodged Chrissie’s eyes and tried to distract myself by staring at the microwave.

“If she was drinking last night she’d have a hang-over…not be cussing her life out.” Chrissie exhaled, loudly. “Don’t you care what Drew was doing with her?”

“I do…” My shoulders relaxed. At least that wasn’t a total lie. “But I trust Drew, and I’m sure he isn’t cheating on me.”  I thinned my lip to prevent myself from saying the reason: because we aren’t really dating to begin with.

“Wow,” Chrissie said, her eyes open. “You’re so faithful.” She patted my shoulder. “I salute you my amazing, faithful friend.”

I laughed, pulling my shoulder away from her hand. “I’ll remember that, thanks.” In the exact moment, a growl rumbled from my stomach. Loudly.

Chrissie started giggling. “You didn’t get a bite before you left?” She slid off her chair, and went to the fridge.

“I ate little there,” I told her, watching as she pulled out milk.