karma is the girl on the screen, coming straight home to me [H.Steinfeld]

Start from the beginning

"Trust me-" She gives your lips one last peck before she steps away from you. "I know."

You let her walk away first, taking a moment to thank the universe for bringing this woman into your life before following after her. You quickly arrive at the interview room and go through all the formal introductions before taking your seat next to Hailee. She shoots you a quick smile that you waste no time in returning.

The next few minutes pass by in an exciting blur of people setting up all the microphones and cameras and it's not until the interviewer sits down in front of you that your previous nervousness rears its head again. You try to tell yourself you're worrying over nothing but almost every interview has gone the exact same way since you joined the MCU. The only thing that brings you some reassurance is that Across the Spider-Verse is something completely different and can't be linked to your last name. Unfortunately, that leaves the door right open for a different set of accusations regarding the brunette sitting by your side.

The interview starts in a very standard way with the first few questions being the same opening questions you've gotten in every other interview. You don't really mind but you do wish people could come up with something better than,"How excited are you about this movie?"

Your complaints fade away once you're forced to focus on the next batch of questions. "So, y/n, this was your first time doing voice acting for a movie, how different was portraying Spider-Woman in this way compared to Hawkeye?"

You give a pretty ordinary answer, waiting until you've fully answered the question to add in a comment that you know will be floating around your Twitter feed for most of the week. "And I definitely had to tone down my flirting this time around."

"Was that hard for you?" The interviewer replies, not so subtly straddling the border between keeping the conversation flowing and pointing out you and Hailee's closeness.

Your answer comes with its own set of badly hidden romantic undertones. "I mean, have you seen this woman?"

"Way to keep it professional, y/n," Hailee says, her smile obvious in her tone.

"I just have too much charm to keep contained, darling."

You turn your head just enough for your eyes to meet hers. A charged moment of silence passes before she looks away, muttering something about how unbelievable you are through a soft chuckle.

You almost forget where you are until the interviewer speaks up again and brings you right back to reality. "The internet certainly agrees with you, y/n. Apparently, you take after your cousin."

"Which one?" You joke.

You can already tell where the conversation is going to go but you do your best to appear unbothered.

"Oh, you know, tall, blonde, also an Avenger."

You suppress the urge to roll your eyes but the shift in your posture doesn't go unnoticed by Hailee. It never does.

"Right, that one. Annoying fella, isn't he?"

It's easier to mask your annoyance as playful teasing if you direct your energy toward your cousin and not the interviewer in front of you.

"So annoying," Hailee joins in, making a show of mimicking your accent.

You shoot her a brief but grateful smile. One she returns with the smallest nod of her head, almost as if silently telling you she's got your back. And you don't doubt for a second that she does.

Unfortunately for the two of you, your attempt at changing the topic of conversation goes completely ignored by the interviewer. "Still, it must be great to have support from your own family when it comes to projects like this."

"Yeah, it's always fun to remind Chris he never got his own show."

Hailee makes a face at your comment and you can already imagine the "Memefeld" tweets it will create. "Technically the show isn't yours."

"It's not yours either, there's still two Hawkeyes."

"I...yeah, okay, you got me there."

"So, the criticism doesn't bother you?" He continues. "It's hard to deny the connection between your recent projects and the closest people in your life."

This time Hailee's the one who stiffens up and, despite the way your heart flutters in your chest at her protective nature, you decide to reply before she gets the chance to. "I appreciate people's concern but I think they're overestimating the importance of my personal life and greatly underestimating my talent. I'm not really bothered by it, I just ignore it, to be honest. Call it taking a page out of Taylor's book."

You turn to look at your girlfriend with a subtle smirk on your lips. She already knows exactly what you mean but she plays along with you anyway. "Which one? Shake it off?"

"I was thinking of Karma but sure," you say with a shrug. "Except for the 'guy on the screen' part."

Even though you mumble the last part, you know the microphone picked you up loud and clear. If your choice is between nepotism scandals and dating rumors, you'll take the dating rumors any day. Hailee's team probably doesn't agree so it's a good thing your agent is the one in the room and not Hailee's.

Almost as if on cue, she steps in with a random excuse to end the interview. You don't really pay attention to whatever words get exchanged since you're too busy admiring your girlfriend.

You can already imagine the tweets and the headlines this interview will create but you don't really mind. All you really care about is getting to go home with Hailee.