come back home (i'm afraid of disappearing) [K.Bishop]

Start from the beginning

You assume the words are supposed to be reassuring but her tone doesn't match. For the first time since you met her, she seems defeated. Like she's finally been crushed under the weight she carries on her shoulders every day.

You feel like you should say something but there are no words to describe what you're feeling so you settle your attention on the cuts scattered along her face. "You're bleeding."

You attempt to move away from her to get the first-aid kit but she reaches out to grab your wrists. She pulls you close before you can get too far, looking up at you while you stand between her legs. "I don't care about that. I care about you...about us."

"Kate..." Your voice is as soft as ever as you reach out to cup her face with your hands, your eyes searching for the familiar depths of her eyes. "Was this because of our argument?"

She gives you a small nod, a few new tears slipping down her face. "I just...I couldn't stop thinking about you."

A part of you thinks you should be angry with her for being so reckless but you can't be. Not when she's looking at you with such pain, such vulnerability, in her features. You don't know what she needs but you know you'd do everything in your power to help her. You'd steal the moon and the stars from the sky if it would make her smile.

"You do realize you proved me right...?"

The corners of her mouth lift up the slightest bit at your words. "I do, yeah. That almost hurt more than the punch to the face."

"You're an idiot." You shake your head, a small chuckle falling from your lips. Despite the heaviness of the situation, you're happy to see her smiling again.

"But you love me."

There's a hidden insecurity to her words that most people wouldn't catch.

But you're not like most people.

"I do," you reply softly. "I love you...no matter how big of an idiot you are sometimes."

The little grin on her face grows until it's a full-blown smile and the sheer amount of beauty it radiates leaves you speechless for a few seconds. You wipe away her remaining tears with your thumbs, your eyes scanning her face again.

"I'm okay." She turns her head to the side and gives the inside of your wrist a tiny kiss. "You're cute when you're worried."

"Then I must be cute all the time."

She gives you a small nod, her eyes glued to your face. "You are. You're incredible. I don't deserve you."

"Don't say that-"

"I almost lost you, y/n. Over a stupid argument I should've never started. I'm an idiot who doesn't deserve you."

There are a thousand words on the tip of your tongue but they all feel insufficient when compared to the way your heart beats when you're around Kate. You could round up all the poets in the world and have them all write a thousand different poems about what you feel for your girlfriend and it still wouldn't be enough.

So, instead, you lean down and capture her lips in a soft kiss.

Her arms wrap around your waist and she guides you onto her lap without breaking the kiss. You pour all the feelings you can't put into words into the kiss. All your fear, all your worry, but most importantly, all your love.

You pull away from her to catch your breath. Your voice is barely above a whisper when you speak again. "You're not going to lose me, Katie."

"You mean that? Even after what I said?"

You're reminded of your earlier argument once again and you can't hide the frown that makes its way onto your face. "We both said things we didn't mean."

"Yeah, but I was a total jerk. You were just looking out for me and I lashed out at you." Her voice cracks under the weight of her emotions.

"It's okay," you reassure her, your thumb drawing soft circles onto her cheek. "I promise we're okay."

She doesn't say anything in response, she just leans in to kiss you again. You let her pull you as close as possible while you enjoy the feeling of being back in your girlfriend's arms after the day you've both had.

There's nowhere else you'd rather be right now.

"You're wrong, by the way," you mumble against her lips. "you deserve the world."

"Well..." She trails off, the subtlest of smirks on her face as she pulls back to look into your eyes. "You're my world."

You shake your head at her while she laughs, the sound filling you with nothing but love for the archer. "Smooth, Bishop."

"I love you, y/n." The humor in her tone fades away into something more sincere. "And I know I'm a reckless, stubborn, idiot but I'll always come home to you. No matter how bad things get out there. You're my safe place, you know?"

You lean in to give her another quick kiss. "I know. You're my safe place too. I'll always be waiting for you."

"Great!" It startles you how quickly the sadness fades from her eyes, even if there are still a few traces of it on the rest of her face. "I think I deserve some cuddles now."

"I don't think so. I love you but you need a shower."

She pouts but you don't give in. Determined to resist her puppy dog eyes. After a few seconds, she sighs. "Fine...but afterwards we can cuddle?"

"Yes, Katie. Shower then cuddles."

In an instant, her strong hands grab onto your waist and she picks you up. You let out a yelp as she drops you onto the bed before running off toward the bathroom. "I'll be right back!"

"Kate!" You yell out after her, unable to stop your laughter. "I still have to clean those cuts!"