Chapter 9

With every ounce of strength within me, I strain against the vice-like grip of my captors, a fierce determination burning in my eyes. Beside me, Robin matches my resistance, his face etched with a mixture of defiance and determination. The sound of Maria's piercing scream tears through the air, reverberating in my core and triggering a surge of adrenaline that propels me forward, an instinctual need to protect my sister.

In the chaotic scene unfolding before us, Rolf breaks free from his entrapment, his barks and fierce presence instilling fear and hesitation in our captors. Swiftly, Robin reclaims his knife and hat, a tangible manifestation of his determination and readiness to fight back. Our eyes lock. We set our sights on a single goal: saving Maria. With hearts pounding and adrenaline coursing through our veins, we sprint through the dense forest, our sole focus fixated on finding Maria. The urgent thud of our footsteps echoes in harmony with the rapid beats of our anxious hearts. Suddenly, a deafening gunshot rends the air, and my body freezes in terror. "Rolf?" I whisper, a pang of concern gripping my chest. But the urgency of the situation propels me forward, driving me to continue the pursuit. Maria's agonized cry pierces through the chaos, acting as a beacon.

As we approach Maria and Coeur, a mix of emotions swirls in the air, thick with tension. I swiftly push Coeur aside, creating a protective barrier between him and Maria. Her gaze meets mine, a flicker of relief momentarily illuminating her troubled expression. But her joy is short-lived, for her eyes soon fall upon Robin. With anger burning in her eyes, she strides towards him, her hand connecting with his chest in a forceful blow. "You! How could you betray us like that?" I intervene, grasping Maria's arm, urging her to pause, to listen.

Robin walks over to his Father and raises his knife in defiance. "I will not let you take them, Father," he declares, a resolute determination echoing in his voice. Coeur, unmoved by Robin's plea, shakes his head dismissively. "Put the knife down, boy," he commands, his tone dripping with contempt. Robin's plea falls on deaf ears, and Coeur denounces him as a traitor, severing any remaining familial bond. Robin, undeterred, turns to us, a steely resolve in his eyes. "Let's go," he declares, his voice laced with a mix of determination and resignation. 

I glance over my shoulder, catching a glimpse of our pursuers drawing nearer. "They're right behind us! Come on!" I exclaim. Maria's keen eyes catch sight of a hollow nestled within a tree trunk, and she points towards it, a beacon of refuge amidst the chaos. Without hesitation, we crawl into the cramped space, seeking shelter within the tree's protective embrace.

But as I stand up, my head collides with something, I groan in pain. Rubbing my forehead, my gaze falls upon a small handle protruding from the wall. Curiosity getting the better of me, I turn the handle, and to my astonishment, the wall swings open, revealing a hidden chamber. Excitement dances in my eyes as I take in the sight before me- an abandoned sanctuary adorned with two beds, a desk adorned with scattered papers, and a captivating statue that immortalizes the bond between the Moon Princess and the Guardian, all of it cloaked in a layer of forgotten dust.

I gravitate towards the desk, where a collection of pages from the storybook lies scattered. These pages, however, seem to narrate events that transpired beyond the book's end. Eagerly, I begin to read aloud, my voice carrying the weight of discovery and revelation, as Robin joins me, his eyes tracing the words on the pages, immersed in the newfound revelations that lie within these forgotten pages.

After the wedding, the Moon Princess and the Guardian sought solace in their secret sanctuary beneath the earth's surface. Together, they meticulously packed their belongings, preparing to flee from the valley that had once been their home. The Moon Princess carefully concealed the precious pearls, ensuring that only a true successor of her lineage could unravel their hidden location.