Chapter 15

Anika's cabin in the woods wasn't too far away, thankfully.

To say she was surprised to see Geralt after all this time was an understatement, but you were more surprised about Otto the Werewolf living with her.

You and Geralt had been hired by villagers many years ago to kill him but managed to find him a makeshift cure instead. The vial around his neck kept him from shifting, it kept him human and in control. It saved him.

Anika was able to figure out that the girl was under some kind of powerful mind-control enchantment but had no idea who would possess such knowledge to use Chaos, druidic magic and ancient elven sorcery in a singular spell.

She gave the girl an extraction elixir to break the mind-control, but it would take time for it to kick in and there was no guarantee that it would work either.

Now, it was just a waiting game.

"How are you doing, little one?" Geralt's gentle voice suddenly asked.

You glanced over your shoulder to find him walking out the front door of the cabin before he sat down on the porch steps beside you.

"I've been worse." You admitted. "How are you?"

"I've been better." He replied with a heavy sigh. "Anika told me that Visenna is dead."

Your head snapped back in his direction, "as in your mother, Visenna?"

"Hmm." He nodded, avoiding your gaze as he stared out at the woods around the cabin.

"Oh, Geralt. I'm so sorry."

You weren't entirely sure what else to say in this situation, so you didn't try and say anything else, instead you laced your arm through his and leant your head against his shoulder. Geralt's body was tense, but that tension melted away at your touch and he placed a gentle kiss to your forehead.

Geralt was conflicted with his own internal feelings. He had spent so long hating his mother for what she did, but at the same time, she was still his mother and the happy memories he had of her, no matter how few there were, they were still happy memories and he loved her.

"It's okay to be sad. She was still your mother." You whispered.

Geralt sighed, "I know."

The two of you fell into comfortable silence as you sat together. Geralt's head now resting against yours while you stared out at the surrounding woods watching the small birds and animals in the distance.

"I'm going to cut some firewood for Anika. The least I can do for her helping us." Geralt suddenly said.

You lifted your head from his shoulder as he stood up and began descending the porch steps before a thought suddenly hit you.

"Where's Ciri?" You asked, hating yourself for not asking sooner. "The real Ciri. Our Ciri. Where is she?"

"She's safe." Geralt reassured, noticing your sudden panic. "She's with Yennefer at Aretuza."

The word safe and Yennefer did not belong in the same sentence. The last time Ciri was alone with the mage, she had tried to sacrifice the girl to get her magic back.

"She thinks being at Aretuza will help with Ciri's magic training?" You asked, and Geralt nodded. "I don't like it. I don't... I don't trust Yennefer, Geralt."

"Well, I'm starting to."

"You trust her with Ciri's life after the shit she did?"

"Not yet. But everyone deserves a second chance." Geralt simply replied. "You gave me one."