Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

“Sorry I was so long the hand dryer was really naff, I could’ve blown my hands dry quicker than that thing,” I sighed as I sat back down opposite Lucas. I felt Sarah and her friends eyes on me as I walked across the room and they continued to stare as I took my seat. Lucas randomly let out a little chuckle and looked down at the table. “What?” I squinted with suspicion. I really hoped I didn’t have toilet roll stuck to my foot, that would be very embarrassing.

“I assume that’s the one that doesn’t take to you,” he looked over my shoulder to the bar in the corner of the room.

“Ah so you’ve met Sarah then. She’s such a bundle of laughs,” I said sarcastically “Why what’s she done?”

“And I quote ‘what the hell is she doing with someone like him?’. You should really turn around and look; the expression on her face is priceless.” Lucas smiled wickedly. I must admit it made happy that I’d managed to piss her off so easily. I do agree with her though, what am I doing with someone like him?

A few seconds later I heard the clacking of heels approaching, the figure stopped at the side of our table and glanced down at me like I was a piece of shit on her shoe.

“Can I take your orders?” she asked coldly.

“Can we have a bit longer to consider our options?” Lucas requested.

“Yeah sure call me over when you need me,” her tone laced with fake cheer before she turned on her heels and left. I was about to explain who she was to Lucas but as soon as my lips moved he raised his finger to his in a ‘shh’ motion. His eyes squinted with concentration as we sat in silence. His lips suddenly turned into a smirk as if he was plotting something.

“What’s she saying?” I sighed

“Oh just about how hot I am and how much they fancy me,” he bragged in a non-serious way. I laughed at how highly he thought of himself “If you fancy winding her up a bit I have a plan,” he raised his eyebrows mischievously.

“…okay then.” I agreed after a little thought.

“Just play along,” he said as he raised his hand in the air to signal her back over. I had my menu flat on the table in front of me and my hands either side as I read. My eyes skimmed the choices until I found my favourite, Spaghetti bolognaise…everything else on the menu I’d never heard of. Suddenly I felt a hand on mine “What would you like babe?” my gaze shot up to see Lucas staring at me with a sparkle in his eyes. I then shot a gaze at my hand, the picture of his hand on top of mine sent my drove my senses wild. I finally snapped out of my daze and found myself trying to hold back the laughs. Lucas knows how much I hate the word ‘babe’ and probably said it on purpose to make me laugh. Whenever I hear a couple call each other babe I cringe with disgust.

“Please could I have the spaghetti bolognaise,” I glanced up to look at her. Her eyes were wide and focused on our joined hands. Without warning Lucas started rubbing my hand with his thumb which put me in a state of euphoria.

“I’ll have the same please,” Lucas looked up at her as she stood glued to the spot with what I can only assume was shock. “That will be all for now,” he said after a seconds of her not moving. She blinked out of her trance and swiftly made a note of our order.

“You could’ve told me your plan in advance,” I whispered with surprise still fully aware his hand was still on mine.

“It’s called improvisation,” he chuckled. Our eyes met and the little sparkle was still visible “it did work though. You can just feel the jealously radiating off her like heat from a fire.” I shook my head with disbelief as I laughed. A look of concentration covered his face again, his smile disappeared.