Chapter 186 - Goodbye

Start from the beginning

The wheels in her head spun rapidly. She said, “Sidharth has been on the case for the last 10 years. Grandfather Shukla, I think you should put a little more faith in him. I’m sure he has his reasons.”

Sidharth’s gaze swept over Shehnaaz’s face, before returning to rest on Deepika, who was still being restrained by the orderlies. “Take her to the Special Ops
detention center.”

“What are you trying to do here?! Answer me!” Anand was livid. He had kept a tight lid on his boiling
temper for the entire night, but this was the last straw.

Sidharth clasped his hands behind his back. He looked his father in the eye. “…We’ll give her a polygraph test. We need to check whether she’s lying.”

Deepika was shocked. She fainted, unable to withstand the enormous psychological stress she was under.

The two orderlies walked out the door, supporting the unconscious Deepika between them.

Grandfather Shukla opened his mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Instead, he erupted into a series of earth-
shattering coughs. He coughed so hard he doubled over, looking for all the world like a sad, withered prawn.

Uncle Ved and Aunt Jiva rushed over to him, patting him on the back to ease his coughing. Urvashi and Priyank took out their phones, and said to Sidharth: “Young Master, do we have your permission to call a doctor for Grandfather?”

Sidharth pressed his lips together. After a moment, he said: “Where’s Head Nurse Rautela?”

Head Nurse Rautela had taken care of Grandfather Shukla for
several decades now. She knew everything about his physical health and medical history, and was the person best suited to look after him.

She lived in the Shukla residence, but had temporarily returned to her family home when Sidharth had suddenly called on Christmas Eve to say that he would be back for the New Year.

Uncle Ved and his wife stealthily exchanged a glance, before turning their heads to stare at the floor before them. They did not dare say a single word.

Rita finally realized that there were several new additions to the family.

The Rautela’s had only moved into the Shukla residence after
Rita’s accident. She did not know who they were, and had no recollection of ever meeting them.

She shot a questioning look at Shehnaaz.

The Rautela’s were just as much of a mystery to Shehnaaz. She returned Rita’s look with a light shrug, indicating that she knew nothing.

Sidharth watched the two women exchange puzzled looks. It amused him to see the two of them caught off-guard for once, and the frown on his face faded. He turned to Urvashi and Priyank, and said to them: “Call
Head Nurse Rautela, and tell her to come back. I’ll take my mother and Shehnaaz to my official residence.”

After a slight pause, he walked over to Grandfather Shukla and
patted him on the shoulder. “Happy New Year, Grandfather.”

Grandfather Shukla looked up at him. His grandson was all grown up now…

“All right, you can go. But…” Grandfather Shukla clenched his
teeth, “…you have to come home for the Makar Sankranti.”

“Okay,” Sidharth replied readily. He kept his promises to his grandfather.

Deepika had already been taken away. Sidharth turned and led Shehnaaz and Rita out of the Huo
residence.

Anand watched them leave in helpless despair. Suddenly, he snapped out of it and ran to catch up with them.