Chapter Seven

Maria POV

I've just gotten off the phone with Wanda and Nat, and they explained everything that happened. They told me to just stay here at Page's in case she comes by but she won't, not now she knows we all lied to her.

I go to check her apartment, she isn't there and probably won't go back there but I leave a note just in case. I also left a note on Page's door in case she goes there but again she probably won't. I really don't know anyone else she could be. I just walk around the neighbourhood, see if anything else comes to mind of where she could go.

Why did this go so wrong? Can we fix this now? She knows about us so will be more careful when it comes to meeting new people, so can't do this again. She did really trust Nat, she seemed so different in the last few days compared to when we first met her. Just hope we can fix this, she needs the help and deserves to be happy. I know Fury just wants her to make her an Avenger but we have all grown to care for her, and with everything she told us yesterday, she's been through a lot.

We have been looking around the city for most of the day, no one has been able to find her. I have just spoken to Wanda who told me to go back to Page's to meet her and Nat there. I'm just walking back, crossing one of the many bridges in this city when I see someone standing over the railings. Lucky they haven't seen me yet, I sneak closer to them, not wanting them to fall or panic. Once I'm close enough I see that it's Lucy. I text Wanda to get here but stay hidden.

I slowly approach her and lean on the railings a safe distance away from her. I look at her, the tears are pouring down her face. She looks broken.

"Hey, I know I'm probably one of the last people you want to see right now but I'm not going anywhere till I know you are safe ok?" I calmly talk to her, I see the panic in her eyes when she turns to look at me. I take a few steps away from her, I pick my hands up and hold them in front of me.

"I won't hurt you, I don't have powers, I'm not an Avenger or anything that special, I just work with them. I'm just gonna stand here and talk with you ok? Just talk, nothing else" I try to keep my voice steady and calm. I don't want to upset her anymore.

"Just...go Maria. I can't do this anymore, I don't want to do this anymore. I thought for the first time in my life I had someone and friends, I felt safe and loved and it's all gone now. No one will ever love me, I can't be alone anymore it's too hard" she barely talks to me, her voice breaking at times.

"It wasn't fake, yes Nat and Wanda don't work at the college, and I don't own a coffee shop, and we did sort of force ourselves into your life a bit more, but once we got to know you we really cared. I'm not lying when I say I'm probably one of the closest people to Nat and she has never let anyone as close to her as she let you, not even for a mission. She really cares for you, and all of the other Avengers will too. Trust me they are just like a weird family, they will be there for you too if you want that" I calmly explain while I slowly get closer to her.

"I just want to be normal" she cries, her grip loosens on the rails.

"Lucy, please don't do this. Come back with me, I promise it will be ok, everything will work out" I close the remaining distance and hold out my hand for her.

"I'm sorry" with that she pushes off from the railing and I can't grab her fast enough. I panic as I see her falling towards the river.

Out of nowhere, a red mist covers her body and she's no longer falling. It lifts her up back towards the bridge and places her on the floor next to me. I turn around to see Wanda and Nat standing there. Nat rushes to her and places her bracelet on her wrist and pulls her in for a massive hug. She just holds her while she breaks down and cries into Nat's arms. We are only waiting for a few minutes till Steve and Clint pull up in two cars. Nat slowly picks up Lucy and we help her into the back of Clint's car while me and Wanda jump in with Steve.

"She's going to be ok, just gonna have to be honest with her now" Wanda says to me as she hands me a tissue, I wasn't aware that I was crying. I quickly wiped my tears and nodded. We both just relax in the car after the long day and hoping tomorrow will be better just for all of us but especially for her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lucy POV

I wake up to the sun hitting my eyes, my eyes slightly open but I pull the cover over my head before shutting them again trying to go back to sleep. I suddenly sit up and open my eyes wide, this isn't my room, it's so big but basic. I roll out of bed and start looking around the room, so there's a double bed in the middle of the room, TV on the wall across from it, drawers under the TV and a desk next to them. Behind one of the doors is an ensuite, and the other is a walk-in closet. I've even got some clothes in there that should fit me.

I pick up my phone from the table, 7am, might as well get ready to face what's going on. I go back into the ensuite and jump into the shower, the water pressure here is amazing. After spending more than enough time in the shower, washing my hair, body and just relaxing in the water, it has this calming effect on me. I go back into my closet to find some clothes, just throw on some sweats and a slightly big t-shirt, I find my trainers on the floor by another door and put them on before leaving the room.

This place sort of looks similar, can't place where I am yet. I head down the corridor till I reach some stairs, I slowly go down till I hear voices from below.

"So what's going to happen now?" a man asked, I knew his voice but couldn't place who it was.

"Well once she's up we will all talk, before Fury finds out, he will only scare her. Then we see if she wants to stay or not, she is gonna have to learn how to control all her powers but once she's done that she can leave, we can't force her to stay, and I'm not letting Fury lock her up for no reason, she's only used her power when she's been forced too or she's lost control and both of them times her life was in danger" I know that voice, it's very similar. OMG Nat, I'm back at the compound.

Why am I here? The memories of last night flooded back into my head. SHIT they found me. I need to get out of here. I head back the way I came, trying to see another way out of this place. Next to the stairs I see an elevator, I get in it and press for the ground floor. I didn't even feel it move before the doors opened.