Even though it might have been rude to advise the Empress like that, the Duchess’ words always hit the nail on the head. Well, I’d have agreed with it very much if it hadn’t been for Roberta Jacques in the first place. Was it a relief that we didn’t get attached to each other…?

Still, lately, she had been actively making it obvious that she was on my side as the Duke’s family was sending me a present every day so that the whole world would know…

The gift itself was not significant, though the point of showing that she supported me was what mattered.

So, this kind of attitude was quite cute.

Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes.

A week before the summer solstice, Raniero suddenly bursted into the room again.

I was slowly getting used to the fact that this person had no concept or thought of informing the room owner in advance and just visited as they pleased… In the original story, I couldn’t believe that he was the man who had never visited the Empress except for the first night. Somehow, it seemed to be taking a slightly different direction from the original…

While I was brooding about something else, Raniero chased out all the maids in the bedroom.

“Empress.”

When I came to my senses because of the low voice, the surroundings had already become quiet.

“Is it a chronic disease or are you becoming fearless now, huh?”

“It’s a… chronic disease.”

“Are you frightened again?”

…To be honest, yes.

No matter how often we met and how much  I got used to Raniero, scary things were always going to be scary.

“Rabbit…”

“Yes?”

I glanced back at him in astonishment. Why was he bringing up the soft, cute little furry animal…?

“You are as weak and startled as it is, aren’t you?”

“….”

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

At that, I quickly turned my gaze away before opening my mouth.

“H-how am I looking at Your Majesty now?”

“Eyes don’t tell lies. You’ve become very arrogant and bold, my Empress.”

“Oh—n, no.”

“Oh, was I mistaken? I can’t even read the transparent face of the Empress now? So, did you change your attitude?”

“I-I wouldn’t say that…”

The sharp memories of the first night rushed through my head. It feels like I am falling into a swamp every time I speak!

“It’s… it’s just that if you just bring a soft, cute little furry animal to a human, I feel a little sorry for the animal…”

Raniero’s eyes narrowed.

Damn it. The silence was scarier than saying anything…

I shut my eyes tightly.

“However…! I now understand that it was a metaphor for Your Majesty to point out my weakness. I foolishly misunderstood what you said to help me understand! Thanks to Your Majesty’s words of intent, I understood why the story of the rabbit came up…”

However, my words didn’t come to an end. It was because his lips pressed against mine.

When I placed my hand on his shoulder in surprise, I quickly turned back, reminding myself that he didn’t like being touched. As my waist bent back as though I was about to fall, he wrapped one arm around my waist and supported the back of my head with the other.