𝒱𝐼𝐼𝐼

✧⋆⁺₊⛰︎⛰︎⛰︎⋆⁺₊✧

I followed the two boys rather cautiously through the forest. Lo'ak was leading while Neteyam followed behind me. I couldn't help but want to admire things as we passed them. Once again I was awe struck by the beauty of the forest.

The trip was rather long compared to what I thought. I'm not sure why but I assumed that when Lo'ak said it would be quick he meant it would literally be quick.

Finally we reached the top of a fairly large tree with many leaves and thick branches that were easy to have a footing on. I watched hesitantly as I stood between them as they made these strange sounds. I watched in confusion as the leaves in the trees began to move until a fairly large winged thing came out of no where landing right in front of Lo'ak.

I yelped and stumbled back from Lo'ak and ended up walking into Neteyam's back. I quickly turned around to see another one of those things in front of him. I stumped once again almost falling to my death before Lo'ak grabbed me and prevented me from falling.

"Holy shit Santanhí! You're gonna fall to your death if you aren't careful!"

Lo'ak laughed and I rolled my eyes shoving his arms off of me. I stayed very alert. These winged creatures were huge. Bigger then I thought they would be for sure.

"Watch this!"

Lo'ak jumped on the animals back and went flying around in the sky ahead of us. I shuttered a little realizing just how high we are as well as the fact I almost died a second ago.

"Mountain girl..."

My head jerked at the name. My eyes met Neteyam who was standing next to his own winged creature.

"They aren't that scary. Come."

He motioned me to come a little closer to him and the animal.

"These are our Ikran. They have one rider in their whole life. You can earn one through your Iknimaya..."

I listened carefully as I slowly found myself wanting to get closer to the Ikran. I had almost forgotten that Neteyam was there. I was so entranced by the beauty of the animal. The patterns that traced its body. I glanced back at the sky that Lo'ak was doing spins and flips through the air with his Ikran. I noticed the difference in colors. Neteyam's appeared to be much more beautifully patterned then his brothers Ikran.

"Santanhí..."

Neteyam's voice sounded like it was warning me, but I was unfazed as my fingers lightly traced the Ikran's body. The creature make a chirping noise and opened its wings giving them a little flap as I continued to admire her. She was a light blue with purple accents scattering her body. Her eyes were a bright amber like the Omatikaya. I traced my fingers from her head down her neck to her wings. Small scars scattered her body from previous wounds. What a breathtaking animal.

"She's beautiful..."

I breathed out as I turned back to Neteyam who was looking at me rather surprised. It was not only him now, but when I wasn't paying attention Lo'ak had also landed. He seemed even more surprised, almost freaked out about what was happening.

"How'd you do that?..."

My ears fell in confusion. What was Lo'ak talking about? Why did they both look so surprised.

"Do what?"

Suddenly I stumbled back as the Ikran had nudged my body while making another chirping noise.

"That..."

Did they mean the attitude of the creature? I just shrugged at the two confused boys and I patted the Ikran's head. Neteyam had not spoken a word instead he just watched the exchange.