Promises

I watched the brunette in overalls through the window as she carried another box through the rain. There she was. My best friend. My only friend. Leaving. I sighed and walked down stairs to help her pack the last few boxes.
"Lyra!" I called to her. She was saturated. Her chocolate brown eyes looked sadly into mine.
"Hey Ethan," she smiled wearily at me "what's up?"
"I-I just wanted to help you pack." I tried to shrug off the sadness. It wasn't going very well. She sighed sadly then nodded. We were both getting wetter and wetter by the minute.
"There are two more boxes left. I appreciate the help." She looked at her brown shoes and I ran a hand through my soggy raven hair. Both nervous habits of ours. We had known each other since we were little kids. We kept to ourselves and never really socialised. Even as we got older, we never dreamed of getting separated. Lyra's dad apparently got a job opportunity so, she had to move.

Once we had the last boxes packed, I dug through the depths of my short's pocket. My hand wrapped around what it was sent to retrieve and pulled it out. A blush dusted my cheeks as I handed her a gift.
"What's this?" She asked taking the small parcel from me.
"Just a farewell gift I guess." She smiled at me and carefully untangled what was my terrible wrapping skills. Inside was a picture we took after climbing the biggest mountain in the country, Mt Silver. A small gold heart necklace accompanied it.
"Thanks Ethan, this is really sweet." I saw her eyes shimmered with tears "do you mind putting it on?" She held out her neck piece to me trying hard not to cry. I felt the same way. I clipped the accessory around her neck and smiled at her. Her father walked out of the garage and looked at the house.
"That's the last of it." He called to his wife inside. She appeared with puffy eyes and a red nose. Obviously she had been crying. She bravely nodded her head and walked to the car. Both Lyra's parents slowly hopped into the truck and waited patiently for their daughter. I wrapped my arms around her as she sobbed into my chest.
"I'm gonna miss you Ly." She smiled at my dorky nickname for her.
"Same here" and with that, she walked off to her car and didn't dare look back. I knew if she did, she would break down all over again. As the truck drove off in the rain I started thinking. She was my best friend. And I wasn't gonna let her go that easily.

I ran after the car in the rain, struggling to keep up. I grabbed Lyra's dad's side of the truck and clung on for my life. He looked out his open window at me.
"What are you doing kid!" He screamed at me over the rushing wind, rain and because this was probably illegal and dangerous.
"I'm sorry sir!" I yelled back "but I can't let you leave!" The car screeched to a halt.
"What?"
"I-I can't let you leave." My cheeks tingled with warmth as they turned a light shade of pink even though the rest of my body was cold.
"And why's that?" Lyra's mum leaned forward in her seat to get a clearer vision of me. Lyra also jumped forward to watch. I hadn't planned that far a head. I'd expected them to say no and drive off.
"I-I-I..." I stared at my childhood friend in the truck, still getting wetter and wetter by the minuet. I cleared my throat and straightened my back.
"I can't live without Lyra!" I screamed. It was the best I could do. It wasn't Shakespeare but it was enough to make both girls in the car tear up.
"I never wanted to leave!" Lyra's mum sobbed.
"Me neither!" Lyra wiped the tears that were running down her cheeks "I didn't want to leave you!" She stared at me through tears stained eyes. Even I started getting teary. Lyra's dad sighed and turned the car off.
"I always had a bad feeling about moving." He muttered. I smiled at Lyra who beamed back at me. I jumped off the car and started back.

I was halfway back when I noticed footsteps coming from behind me. I spun around to see a drenched brunette with overalls and a red shirt. Lyra. She ran up to me and grabbed my hand.
"Thanks for that." She whispered, still in shock from everything happening so fast. I shrugged.
"I couldn't let you leave." She pecked me on the cheek and buried her face in my chest.
"Don't let me go Ethan." She murmured.
"I won't." I looked down at the girl in my arms.
"Promise?" Her eyes were watery as she looked up at me.
"Promise."