chapter twelve - opener

masonmount: on our way to the world cup 🔥liked by england, holliejsmith and 75,242 others

liked by england, holliejsmith and 75,242 others

declanrice: it's goooooo time
benchilwell: cmon the boys
chelseafc: good luck mason! 💙

***

Record contract signed meant Finn was hard at work in the studio. The first few days of Mason being gone hadn't registered for the musician, who'd spent most of his time holed up recording. Most of the album was going to be made up of songs Finn had already written, and it was deciding which of them would make it that was causing the most work.

"I just don't think it fits with the rest of the album." Josh, Finn's best mate and guitarist commented.

"Argh, yeah I think I agree." Finn replied.

"Let's record everything Finn, and then we can play it to the label guys on Friday. See what they think too." Matt, Finn's producer said.

"Hmm yeah let's record everything. But I'd like to have made the choice about what I want on the record and not before we meet. I wanna present the sound, the vibe we are going for on this."

"Do you think you're gonna need some more writing sessions?" Matt asked.

"Yeah I think there's a song or two that this album is going to need. And I'm feeling inspired so, why not write more?"

***

"Evening lads, tonight's starting 11 will be Pickford, Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Rice, Bellingham, Mount, Sterling, Saka, Kane. We know the game plan inside out, let's relax, execute and enjoy Game 1." Southgate spoke to the team in the dressing room.

It was England's first game at the 2022 World Cup against Iran. Tricky opponents for an opener, but the expectation was still a convincing win. Harry Kane led them out to warm up in the sweltering Qatari night. After the group activities, Dec and Mase grabbed a ball and went through some passing.

"Starting 11 then sunshine." Dec smiled at his best mate.

"Let's prove we deserve it." Mason returned the smile.

"Have you spotted all the friends and family yet?"

"Yeah bottom corner over there." Mason pointed.

"Oh yeah, I see now." Dec replied. "Jesus, even I can see the sea of Mounts from here."

"They travel in packs." Mason laughed.

***

Back in England, Finn had raced home from the studio to catch the start of the game. He quickly jumped in the shower, and pulled on his Mount 19 embossed shirt.

"The absolute fuck is that?!" Paddy asked as Finn walked into the living room.

"It's Mason's shirt." Finn tried to play it off.

"No no no. Firstly, Mum and Grandad are turning in their graves seeing you in an England shirt. Dad would probably glass you if he saw. But secondly, you've got a name on the back like a little fanboy." Paddy tore into him.

"Shut the fuck up and put the game on, it's not like anyone is seeing it apart from you." Finn said back.

"It's hurting my eyes but fine." Patrick turned on the television. "Do hope they win for ya like." he smiled.

"Oh look, Mase is starting." Finn pointed out, looking over at Patrick for comment.

"This is going to be a long tournament." Paddy sighed. "if England go past the group, I'm off out when they are playing."

"No, come on now. I'm looking for your help with the football stuff. Don't leave me to watch it by myself."

"Fine." Patrick smirked.

***

Mason Mount

Look familiar?

Great result! Well played x

Ahhh you're wearing it!
Thanks Finny x
Hope the studio is going well
Call tomorrow?

Sure thing

***