Chapter 8: Scarlet Strings

Start from the beginning

Yet the short letter made Rok Soo's eyes widen in surprise and a rush of adrenaline ran through his body, "Hah!"

Hey, old man.

Do you remember that "thing" I had vaguely mentioned to you a few months back? The one that I said was inspired by a book? Well, I've built a decent foundation. Within my estate and outside it. Bars and boutiques. The slums. All of it, I clicked together. I will tell you more in person, but these documents are for you to see my plan and progress. I want your eyes on it, your opinion. Also, I've set a book out for you that you should check out.

~ C.H

"This punk!"

"Hmm? What is it?" Siwan asked as Elis observed quietly.

Rok Soo folded the letter, placing it back into the envelope. He gave his siblings an innocent smile, "Cale's been rather obsolete on a matter. I'll finally be getting details,"

Elis and Siwan exchanged odd looks. Nonetheless, Elis couldn't help but fondly sigh, smiling as he said, "Go on then,"

Rok Soo was quick to get up, muttering a short goodbye before making his way towards his room. Siwan laughed as they watched the quick steps. She grinned, "My, my, what will we do with him?"

Elis chuckled, "It's nice to see him warming up,"

Rok Soo eagerly made his way towards his room, before changing paths to his study. A servant had found and informed him the package had been placed in there instead. This made more sense, he supposed. His study was far more secure than his bedroom.

Dismissing the servants that were dusting inside, Rok Soo walked to his desk. He sat in the large chair, opening a thin drawer where most of his small writing instruments and other tools lay. Such as the wax seal knife.

Its handle was of polished elm wood, the glossy finish reflecting the light that ricocheted in from the windows. The blade was not silver but rather had a golden color to it, complimenting the wood.

Bringing the package to his lap, Rok Soo easily used the sharpness of the seal knife to cut open the package. Placing it off to the side, Rok Soo opened the box and pulled out a stack of papers— no, two stacks of papers, each held together by a thin rope.

The box was set down next to the desk as Rok Soo lifted up the small slips of paper tied to each string, labeling the piles. Both piles were relatively the same thickness, only about half an' inch of parchment. The stack that was on top was labeled 'completed/in progress' while the second stack was leveled 'unfinished/to begin'.

Placing the 'unfinished' pile to the side, Rok Soo untied the first stack and pulled off the blank piece of paper at the top. With record, Rok Soo let himself intently absorb the words. He did not read it fast despite only needing a glance to recall everything on a single page. Instead, he read through it at his casual reading speed.

Only a little way through the papers and Rok Soo was pleasantly surprised. Cale had been working hard in the shadows. He had made hidden connections with people all over Rain City. Rok Soo suspects that Ron or Beacrox had given a tad nudge to find trustable people, but it didn't really matter. In the end, it was Cale in charge. Furthermore, it seemed that not everybody knew it was Cale Henituse running the show.

Billios Flynn was one of the few assets that did know and also one of the most important.

According to the report on the bastard son, Cale had let down his persona and drew on Billios's curiosity. The two had exchanged a short conversation that was scripted below. Rok Soo was proud while reading the next few correlations.