Misunderstandings

Start from the beginning

Andrew scrunched his brow and stepped forward as he slowly placed his hand on his mother's knee.

"You said you were being kicked," Andrew said, his voice raising almost an octave out of worry for his mother. "Victoria and I couldn't see or find the threat and we didn't know what else to do so we ran and got Dad. We knew he'd be able to protect you from this ghost!"

The room once again filled with tense silence.

Maxi pursed her lips and covered her mouth with her hand but could not stop a giggle from tumbling out of her lips.

Upon seeing the concern and worry remain in her children's eyes, she quickly composed herself. She reached out a hand for each of them to take. Victoria and Andrew eagerly reached up and clasped her hands.

"My loves," she said warmly. "You rushed out in a panic and did not allow me to fully explain."

Riftan looked over his shoulder at her with the same confused curiosity as the children.

Maxi looked over at her husband and offered him a small reassuring smile before returning her gaze to her children.

"When I said they're kicking," she said with a grin, "I meant the baby, not a ghost. The surprised look on my face was not out of fear or confusion but joy and excitement."

"But as we left we heard you cry out." Victoria said, blinking rapidly to hold back more tears.

Maxi squeezed her daughter's hand reassuringly.

"Sometimes it does hurt a little but it is completely normal." Maxi said. "Carrying a baby is not easy. It is a wonderful blessing but it can come with aches and pains sometimes but that's alright. Kicks mean the baby is growing strong."

She squeezed their hands once more to reassure them.

"They will need to be strong in order to keep up with the two of you," she added lightheartedly, hoping to bring a smile to their faces.

The children stared at her, then glanced at each other and then back at her. Relieved smiles broke out on their sweet faces as they lunged forward to embrace their mother as best they could around her large stomach.

Maxi was too big to lean forward and embrace them so she rubbed their backs. She whispered her thanks for looking out for her and their little brother or sister.

The sound of armor clanking slightly, told Maxi that her husband now stood behind her. He walked up beside her chair and kneeled next to her. After removing his gauntlet, he placed his left hand on Maxi's stomach.

Maxi jumped slightly as the baby kicked in response. Maxi couldn't help but laugh. Victoria had been the same way when Maxi was carrying her, attuned to her father's presence and touch. It seemed the next addition to their little family was no different.

She winced as the baby kicked harder this time. A small whimper tumbled from her lips.

"Shhhh," Riftan soothed as he gently rubbed her belly trying to calm their baby.

Remarkably the baby seemed to relax which baffled the men and children. Maxi however looked amused but also annoyed.

"How is it that I'm carrying them but they only listen to you?!" she whined with a fake bitter tone.

Riftan smirked at his wife before he leaned over close to her ear. He spoke too quietly for the children or the men to hear. Whatever he said was not meant for them to hear as Maxi nearly squealed and blushed a deep shade of red before trying and failing to shove him away.

Her embarrassment seemed to break the last of the tension that had suffocated the room moments ago.

"We are glad to see it was simply a misunderstanding, my Lady." Elliot said politely.

"Yes," Garrow added, "the children gave us quite a fright."

The knights looked at the children who shrunk back. They had understandably overreacted which had led to near panic.

"Sorry," they mumbled, heads bowed.

Maxi reached out and ruffled her son's dark hair while Riftan pulled Victoria into a reassuring hug.

"Even though I wasn't hurt, thank you for looking out for me and the baby," Maxi said proudly. "You did exactly what you're supposed to do when you don't know how to handle a situation, you went and found your dad."

The children beamed happily at their parents before embracing them.

The rest of the Remdragon knights filed out of the room to give the family some time alone. Maxi could have sworn she heard the sound of money exchanging hands on the other side of the door. No doubt they were placing more bets on the gender of the next member of her family.

She didn't pay them any mind. Let them have their fun. Boy or girl, all she cared about was the health of her precious child. She gave a silent prayer of thanks and placed her hand on her stomach. She couldn't help the wide grin spreading across her face as she imagined what amazing adventures they would have together as a family. Based on their strong kicks, the baby was just as excited to get here.

'Not much longer,' she thought. 'We love you already and we can't wait to meet you.'

*AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hope you enjoyed this adorable chapter! It's one of my favorites. What do  you think Riftan said to Maxi to make her blush? ; )