The Day we Met

Warning: this story contains foul language.

All rights reserved

The Day We Met

ELLIS REED

My mother used to narrate stories about her love life every single day- and in every story, there was always a sentence that captured my attention.

Expect the unexpected.

She told me that love comes in different forms and that we shouldn't expect anything from it. Why? -Because everything and everyone comes with a package of their own quirks. Quirks that we may hate at first, but will eventually learn to accept. She believed that once you found something you love, you could never truly let go. You can try, but you will never really succeed. A fragment of memory-of that something- will forever be lodged in your brain just waiting for the trigger to pop up so it can do it too.

In her case, it was a someone.

This is why I don't believe in it. I don't believe in love. It's a myth my mother was infatuated with. She felt the need to recall every single detail she can establish about love- you can even renounce her as a love guru.

Ironic right?

Her only daughter- the one she preached to about love, believed the complete opposite. Love does not exist. I don't expect it to exist. It is just pure and utter infatuation, not love.

"What the hell did you get yourself into this time, Ellis?" Someone exclaimed angrily. I crooked my neck to see three pairs of eyes staring at me- two concerned faces and a very angry one.

"Ellis Reed: 16, was admitted this morning reportedly from a very nasty fall. She came with a bleeding forehead and several scrapes on her arms and legs. She obtained a head injury and possibly a few fractured bones as well. According to her records, she has a history of mild LLD, which may have caused her fall. I recommend some scans preferably a CT and an MRI." One of the people clad in white spoke. The other one nodded in agreement and said, "Run an MRI and an X-ray pronto, we need to find if this case is surgical or not."

"Will she be okay doctor?" The angry faced guy said.

"No need to worry. The drugs we gave her might make her a bit groggy and occasionally slur her words but she will be okay after we give her further medication."

"This is Doctor Smith, he will page us if you need something." The guy with the same attire stepped up as the other person slipped out of the room.

"Hello, Mr. Reed. We need to run some tests on your daughter now. You should uh- probably head down to the cafeteria for some food if you want." The guy offered with a kind smile.

"Oh! I'm not her dad, I'm her uncle." I have an uncle? Cool.