1:5:16

Here is what I picture Stella's Midsummers dress looks like ^^^——

——

Today is Midsummers, only the most important, high-society, event on Figure Eight. Rose went from door to door waking us all up at 8:00 in the morning to impress our dad. Rule #1 of being a Cameron: represent the family well.

I walked out into the kitchen and sitting at the island is none other than Sarah, scrolling on her phone like nothing happened.

"Dude! Oh my God! Where did you go yesterday?" I rush up and take a seat next to her. As soon as I had made my presence known, she put her phone face down on the counter. "Dad almost caught you. I told him you were at Scarlett's."

Sarah turns to look and me and squeezes my hand in hers. "You are a lifesaver. Thank you!"

Something seems different about her, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

"Yeah, of course, but you have to tell me everything."

Sarah pauses for a moment, releases my hand and a smile creeps onto her face. It scares me.

"Oh God, Sarah. Just tell me!" The suspense is killing me.

"Okay, okay. I don't even know where to start." She looks down in thought and I can practically see the wheels turning. Then she looks up in realization. "Okay, so, you know how John B was so interested in Tannyhill and its founder?"

"Uh, yeah. What about it?"

"Well, he needed some documents that were found in the house when Dad purchased it and-"

"Why aren't you guys dressed?" Wheezie walks in all dolled up in a blue dress with pink roses scattered all over it.

"I'm not going," Sarah says flatly. Her whole mood changed in an instant. It's as if Midsummers is some sort of punishment for her. In past years my sister has looked forward to the event.

"I mean, it's Midsummers. Sarah, you've been talking about Midsummers since last year." Wheezie walks through the kitchen. "You have a date, remember?"

Sarah sighs at the reminder. "Yes, I remember."

"Does that mean I don't have to go either?" Dressing up just to flaunt around like I'm better than everyone else isn't really my thing. Rose walks in wearing a bright magenta dress. It has a high neck and is modest enough for the wife of Ward Cameron, but still has a fun air about it. She walks over and pours herself another glass of white wine. I can't believe that she is already drinking and it isn't even lunchtime yet.

"Stella and Sarah say they aren't going," Wheezie blurts out.

"The hell they aren't," my stepmother chuckles. "Your father is being coronated as Guardian of Knights of the Rhododendron. You guys are going."

I roll my eyes a groan. I wasn't going to protest. It's not worth it, but Sarah decided otherwise.

"You're not our mother. We don't have to do what you tell us," she retorts.